Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-made Vs homemade carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-made Vs homemade carpet.

The carpet in my plane is loosing all its foam backing and in overall ruff shape and leaving a mess. I got samples from airtex also looking at scs. From the looks of what is in the plane it doesn't seem to complicated although have regretted that thought before. I guess my question is has anyone just made there own? Or should i get precut. I can get the snaps like the original has and use original as a template.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre-made Vs homemade carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    The carpet in my plane is loosing all its foam backing and in overall ruff shape and leaving a mess. I got samples from airtex also looking at scs. From the looks of what is in the plane it doesn't seem to complicated although have regretted that thought before. I guess my question is has anyone just made there own? Or should i get precut. I can get the snaps like the original has and use original as a template.
    I’ll likely get flamed (pun intended)but if you make your own carpet, somehow you need to show compliance to CAR 3.388 for flammability. Suggest you also read AC43.13-1b paragraph 9-61. In short, better to pony up and get the Airtex carpets, and keep the tags that show FAA-PMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine using National Aircraft Parts Association carpet. Feather light...and didn’t propagate a flame during my little burn test. Did use/sew on a polyester/cotton tape to cover the edges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice. How did you fasten it? Snaps glue velcro?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I’ll likely get flamed (pun intended)but if you make your own carpet, somehow you need to show compliance to CAR 3.388 for flammability. Suggest you also read AC43.13-1b paragraph 9-61. In short, better to pony up and get the Airtex carpets, and keep the tags that show FAA-PMA.

The IA at the shop said he would burn it for me and sign if it passes. Will have to do the same for my seats. The vinyl is good but the cloth center is starting to rip.

Post Thanks / Like

Where I couldn’t attach with screws and the chrome counter sunk washers. Sewed in one side of sticky backed Velcro strips...put the Velcro together..stuck it where I wanted.. then used lead shot shrinking bags as weights on the strips...

Post Thanks / Like

I found snaps like the ones that are currently installed but, want to make sure there wasn't a better way.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the rudder cable covers, left door threshold mounting screws..up front used the screws that secured the aluminum floor to the fuselage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    The IA at the shop said he would burn it for me and sign if it passes. Will have to do the same for my seats. The vinyl is good but the cloth center is starting to rip.
    All well and good as long as you use the same IA and don’t sell the airplane. Other IAs may not agree given the guidance in 43.13-1b. There it states you should have a manufacturers statement that it meets some standard for either flash resistance or flame resistance for CAR 3 airplanes. They go on to recommend that compartment interiors meet Part 23 appendix F which can only be certified by a DER with a lab.

It’s your airplane, do as you wish, but I’ve signed annuals as unairworthy based on no acceptable documentation for the upholstery or carpets. It’s also killed a number of sales deals where I couldn’t issue an Export C of A.

Post Thanks / Like

I can get the airtex carpet by the yard and do it my self. The premade carpet goes all the way back to the cargo area,which my plane currently does not (stops at rear seat). But my rear seat has a carpet skirt across the front that snaps to the floor. I'd like to at least keep that.