Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flap Handle Extension STC

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have been able to use the flaps on takeoffs and landings. Many times the takeoffs were from the ground with power full on!.
    It might be a problem for someone who is not comfortable in taildraggers, but I have never thought about it myself.
    Popping the flaps down form tail high early in the run can help on short strips and necessarially involves most of the things noted here that are problems with conventional gear operations.
    JDB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throttle Pusher View Post
    Ya the first couple of times on the flaps it was a stretch, but now its just secound nature.
    I'm not so sure about the C class of aircraft(Its been awhile since I flew one) but the pipers really dont have the problem of not being able to see out the front while useing the flaps, At least I dont have that problem but then again I'm 6'1" ,A shorter person might have that problem.
    This should still not be a problem in the normal flight envelope. Who in their right mind would be in a position where the flaps are all the way up with the flap handle still on the floor and reaching down to grab it under 50 feet... under 200 feet. Ive never had to add flaps just after takeoff ether.(the flaps should allready be in before your actualy in the air)

As for the price
    VGs can add alot of performance for not much mone yes its 700 smackers but adding performance is usealy in the thousands if not tens.
    Your flap handle is a convenience at least it is with me, Its not a pet peeve for me ether, so 500 is a bit much. I know getting STC's are a pain in the tail feathers but...
    I'm thinking more like 300.

Now with all that said
    I would like to try it myself,it looks like it would do a good job.
    In a cessna maybe but in the Pipers...ya feels more like 300.
    Throttle Pusher, Thank you for your comments.

I am going to try to post photos, so you will see the improvement with a nearly 6 foot tall pilot and owner in his PA-28 (which uses the same flap system as the shortwing). This was one of the aircraft used for FAA certification, as well as the cover of this month's Pipers magazine. Two of the photos are of the owner leaning forward to reach the Piper flap handle, two are of him using EZ Flap to operate the flaps. The difference in visibility, situational awareness, and ergonomics is obvious. Please note that the pilot would not have full control movement if needed while he is leaning into the control yoke. Some pilots actually bump the yoke with their chest if they reach for the flaps while the yoke is pulled rearward for slow flight.

This upgrade will make it much easier, safer and more convenient for you to use your flaps, regardless of how tall you are. The reason is that it puts the flap control right underneath the throttle, where your hand falls naturally and where your arm "wants" it to be. As long as you have adjusted your seating for your height, so the throttle/yoke/instrument panel is positioned correctly for your arms and hands, then EZ Flap will move the flap control into that "correct" zone.

The majority of aircraft still have standard fixed shoulder harnesses. For these aircraft, EZ Flap adds a significant amount of additional safety, because you can now wear your harness properly without loosening it to use the flaps. Many aircraft do not have shoulder harnesses at all, which is an enormous safety risk and kills people every year in otherwise survivable crashes. EZ Flap allows full use of the flaps with standard pilot restraints."Inertia reel" harnesses are a great idea and a good product... but they only allow you to do something which you should not have been doing, which is fly while bending down and forward. The cost of inertia reels is significantly higher than the flap upgrade.

If you come to Oshkosh you can try it out yourself, I'll be in booth 1152 in the A building. You can also take advantage of the Oshkosh show special and save 10% off the regular price plus free shipping if you pick it up at the show.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EZFlap; 07-23-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
    So far I have been able to use the flaps on takeoffs and landings. Many times the takeoffs were from the ground with power full on!.
    It might be a problem for someone who is not comfortable in taildraggers, but I have never thought about it myself.
    Popping the flaps down form tail high early in the run can help on short strips and necessarially involves most of the things noted here that are problems with conventional gear operations.
    JDB.
    Red Baron, thank you for your comments. I agree completely, people have been able to use their flaps on takeoff and landing for over 60 years. People have also been able to navigate with E6B plotters and paper sectional charts for 80 years. The GPS is a big improvement over the E6B, and EZ Flap is a big improvement over floor-mounted manual flap handles.

I hope ALL your takeoffs were from the ground using full power!

Taildragger pilots need EZ Flap for additional reasons, over and above nosewheel pilots. I have had FOUR Pacer owners verify to me that ducking down behind the instrument panel on landing or to "pop" flaps on takeoff is dangerous and a needless risk. Running your Pacer off the runway because you broke concentration and lost visibility at a critical moment is a bad idea... my friend you should be thinking about it.

As icing on top of the safety and comfort cake, the EZ Flap upgrade actually allows you to develop and fine-tune some advanced techniques to get more STOL performance out of your airplane. Several known techniques that are difficult and/or unsafe with the stock flap handle are now easy and safe when you can sit upright and keep your concentration/visibility unbroken with the EZ Flap handle.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like it would get in the way of my johnson bar breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like it would get in the way of my johnson bar breaks.
    Nope

You can rotate the EZ Flap a few degrees either way so it misses any other control or part of the airplane. If there is any interference with your brake lever, or if there is any other un-solve-able problem, or if it doesn't make you happy for any other reason whatsoever... you can return it and get your money back.

If my memory is correct, the brake lever is slightly to the left of the flap handle. We did a test install in a PA-22 as part of the certification, so I have a memory that this was not an issue, or it was solve-able by rotating EZ Flap a couple degrees to the right.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently installed the Ez Flap on my Pacer and for the first time since I installed shoulder harnesses can take-off and land with them snug against my shoulders.

I've considered a couple of different modifications such as; inertia reel, or going to an over head flap...The Ez Flap solved my problem. I generally use full flaps for all take-offs and landings and I'm finding this modification a great improvement...

I'm tall at 6' 4" and could reach my flap handle in the past but only if I left my shoulder harness loose..which was not good. The installation was simple, and I'm finding the new flap technique sweet. Obviously, the cost was an issue, but the added safety and ease made it worthwhile for me.
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-26-2010 at 06:37 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I hear you on the loose shoulder harnesses reaching for the flap handle.......saving my pennies for the flap handle extension.

Post Thanks / Like

A fixed shoulder harness would be the main reason I would look at the handle extension. Since I don't have any shoulder harness right now I could live without it. I can see the other benefits of it but they're just not enough for me to drop $500. Just my opinion.

However, putting a shoulder harness into my plane is very high on the to-do list. I was thinking the only way to go was the inertial reel systems because of the flap handle. I guess now I would have to reconsider the cost/benefits of a fixed shoulder harness WITH the handle extension vs. the inertial reel setup.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen its good to hear from one of us about the handle.
    I dont have toe brakes yet, how do you think it will work with the johnson bar?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen its good to hear from one of us about the handle.
    I dont have toe brakes yet, how do you think it will work with the johnson bar?

Ken
    Bill, says it works fine with the Johnson Bar....He does say that if you are not satisfied you can return the Ez-Flap. It is an easy installation, you drill and tap two #6 screw holes in the end of the flap button, then screw/bolt E-F on....done.. Removal would be quick if you are unhappy. My installation requires a field approval as I've modified my original flap handle when I changed my yoke system to sticks...It turned out that the flap handle for the PA-18 is perfect for my plane...............
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."