Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Carb Heat Box

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carb Heat Box

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    So what if the owner provides a part that is different than the original but doesn't fall under the definition of major?
    Log book entry for minor alteration, assuming that the part would still meet the certification basis. The key is recognizing that you are signing for both repair/installation/alteration.

The biggest problems I’ve had were when guys want to make new interior parts (Cessna). They replace the cracked plastic with something glass that they make in the garage. Part 23 airplane, and I ask for burn certs and get a blank stare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Carb Heat Box

One of the real keys with owner produced parts is understanding the nuances between the different certification basis’s for old airplanes, and what the Cert basis is for the specific aircraft you are working. There is a lot more that can be done with an Aero Bul 7A airplane than a CAR 4 airplane. CAR 4 is marginally less restrictive than CAR 4A, and CAR 4A again is marginally less restrictive than CAR 3. Firs thing to do is always find the Cert Basis on the TCDS, then get that group of regulations and work through it constantly asking yourself “if I make this change, will I impact the way the original TC applicant showed compliance to this regulation?” If all the answers are No, then go for it, if you get one or more “yes” answers, not you have some homework to show how that new part still meets the Cert basis, and you may be looking at a Major Alteration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pretty in-depth webinar about owner produced parts. They are a great way to keep our airplanes flying.

https://youtu.be/QpAnUzJbai0

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My replacement airbox physically fits, but the neck is too short to allow for getting the bolts in under the flange to the carburetor.
    Can anyone point me to studs I can put into the carb and then use nuts? Or how else would this shorter one attach to the carb? After 8 months of searching, getting this one, and refurbishing it, I'll be darned if we can't make it work somehow.

IMG_1101.jpgIMG_1102.jpgIMG_1104.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 01Delta View Post
    My replacement airbox physically fits, but the neck is too short to allow for getting the bolts in under the flange to the carburetor.
    Can anyone point me to studs I can put into the carb and then use nuts? Or how else would this shorter one attach to the carb? After 8 months of searching, getting this one, and refurbishing it, I'll be darned if we can't make it work somehow.

IMG_1101.jpgIMG_1102.jpgIMG_1104.jpg
    Have you read the first few pages of this thread? There was a spacer on some of the early models. Probably find the studs in the carburetor parts manual. is that a true Piper airbox or one from Aircraft Spruce that is mentioned early in this thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So, my understanding is that the earlier short neck airbox will fit on a later installation, if you use the correct spacer and studs. The earlier airbox, apparently does not have the diverted vanes in the airbox throat. Did all the later boxes have the vanes? Lastly, would it be legal to use an airbox on a later aircraft that does not have the vanes? I understand that it would work but is it legal? Pug never put anything on an airplane that was not required by either sales, engineering or regulation. Just asking.
    ‘Ron

Post Thanks / Like

My airbox shaft bushing is all worn out on the lever side, and the shaft is slid over so it’s not even touching the bushing on the other end.

7F015B5B-6F2B-4620-BF14-8EA21AE071CE.jpeg

38ABFC6C-E2FC-41AB-B086-D978F2612929.jpeg

Looking at this airbox, I think it may be a reproduction. I spoke to Randy Rubbert, it’s $600 to get it refurbished. If this is a repro it’s probably not worth spending a bunch of $$ on. Here’s a couple more pics. Do you guys think it’s a repro?

46EA7621-6A35-47A9-9173-72C1D1D8647A.jpeg 9E74EF0C-5C4E-4C69-8D0B-0E775F79CF60.jpeg

Also, does anyone have a picture of the “cross diverter” mentioned in the quote below? Does it make an appreciable improvement in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    The cross diverter was intended to help atomize the fuel and give better fuel distribution hence smoother engine operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't tel. Will have to look at mine and see if I can tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    Also, does anyone have a picture of the “cross diverter” mentioned in the quote below? Does it make an appreciable improvement in performance?
    I found a picture of it.

Does it make an appreciable improvement in performance? My old worn out airbox (likely aftermarket) doesn’t have one.

9DCF2A3A-C0D2-48FE-AFD0-020F5C8148B5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They say it does. They say it straightens out the air.