Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Heat Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Carb Heat Box

Brazed up the ends so no moisture can get trapped.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone ever get any part info from McFarlane on repairing the heat box. When I called them they said they did not have anything that would work. I would like to repair mine if possible. My shaft is corroded and needs replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Send it over and I will fix it. I fixed David's, pretty simple.

Post Thanks / Like

I should provide the epilogue to this thread.

As Steve mentioned, I sent my carb heat box to him via USPS. He brazed in a used shaft/arm and sent it back. When I got it back I painted the exterior with a black rust inhibitor paint. I took the opportunity to have a new carb heat cable and new Brackett air filter installed. All totaled up, I spent less than $200. Add in about an hour for the mechanic.

Thanks again to Steve for helping us keep these awesome planes flying!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I am building my lower cowling around it right now. I will send it as soon as I finish that. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this on ebay. Thought somebody might be able to use it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 3%26ps%3D5

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    OK, Rick at Univair looked at the drawings and figured out that the 11950-007 box is .63" from the top of the box to the flange that bolts to the carburetor and the 12746-004 box is 15/16" from these two points. There were two spacers part # 91499-000 that were used on the Tri-Pacer from serial number 22-1 to 22-2424 except serial number 22-2378. Serial number 22-2378 and 22-2425 and up used the 12746-004 air box. Therefore it appears to me that Piper eliminated the two spacers by making the air box neck longer on the 12746-004 air box. From what I remember and see in the data I have these were used on Tri-Pacers and I believe it was a clearance problem with the Tri-Pacer cowl or nose gear. Probably not needed on a Pacer conversion. Rick did bring this up to Jim Dyer (Univair owner) that this is a commonly requested part. They make the box with a different neck so it wouldn't be hard to make this one as well. Will keep you posted.
    I've noticed that my air cleaner doesn't line up with the cowl opening very well. Ours is a PA-22/20 (serial #22-2341) with a 135hp. Did a little research and found this thread and I think ours is missing the P/N 91499 spacers. Any idea where we can get these parts? Another thread somewhere else said that Univair doesn't carry them.

Also wondering if there is some sort of flexible seal that should seal the gap between the cowl and heatbox intake? I think I've heard people talk about these but just can't remember if it's an easily made part of purchased one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the neck was longer on the 22s to clear the steering arms. 22/20s had the bottom cowl fabricated by the person doing the conversion. Your easiest fix would be to use some rubber baffle material to seal the gap, other option is to fabricate another bottom cowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Univair has no more stock of either of these boxes. Does anyone know where I can purchase a new quality box or who might rebuild them? I could use a new or used box if in good shape.

Thanks,

Lou

[QUOTE=Steve Pierce;27488]Univair has the 11950-007 carb. air box for the 125-135 hp Pacer/Tri-Pacer but not the 14253-004 used on the 150 hp Tri-Pacer. They are checking drawings to see what the differences are. Cost is $631.22. I will let you know what I find out]

Post Thanks / Like

Just keeping this post up top. Anyone have info on new or rebuilt air box?

Thanks, Lou