Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you do wingtip fabric?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you do wingtip fabric?

My wingtips look like the installer didn't know how to smooth out wrinkles and converging masses. Lumps and wrinkles prevail. I'll post some pics later, but it's bothered me since I bought the plane 4 years ago. In fact it's one significant reason I've considered installing improved wingtips like the Stewart's, in particular. Does anyone have recommendations or instructions about how to do the standard doped Ceconite 101 on a stock wingtip. The standard Ceconite 101 instructions are not adequate so don't suggest those. I hate to take my plane down for any reason, but may consider it carefully if someone has good instructions about how to proceed. Maybe one tip at a time. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you do wingtip fabric?

You can use the polyfiber manual to reference how to heat form a curved edge. Coconite and Pilyfiber are the same fabric (polytak and super seam are the same as well), it's the chemicals going on them that are different and therefore should adhere to the appropriate manual for that.
    The manual is downloadable from their website.
    https://www.conaircraft.com/home
    Also surf YouTube for polyfiber's videos. They made a bunch and there should be one on heat forming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

You may be able to smooth out the wrinkles etc. using a "cool" smoothing iron placed over a cloth placed on the fabric area in question.
    Check temp of iron first though i.a.w. the Ceconite manual.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Please post pictures, because it might just be the surface tapes and not the fabric. It is really hard to offer help without knowing what the problem really is.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do the wing tips like Jason posted per the Polyfiber installation manual. It is one of the more rewarding projects when covering and seeing what that iron can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    You may be able to smooth out the wrinkles etc. using a "cool" smoothing iron placed over a cloth placed on the fabric area in question.
    Check temp of iron first though i.a.w. the Ceconite manual.
    TonyN
    Ok, here's my pics of left wingtip IMG_3731[1].JPGwrinkles. IMG_3730[1].JPG And here's the right.IMG_3741[1].JPGIMG_3740[1].JPG

Iron this smooth somehow using a cloth between the iron and Ceconite? What temperature should the iron be set at?

Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, that isn't gonna iron out. Only way to fix that is to cut it off out to a rib and recover the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Ok, here's my pics of left wingtip IMG_3731[1].JPGwrinkles. IMG_3730[1].JPG And here's the right.IMG_3741[1].JPGIMG_3740[1].JPG

Iron this smooth somehow using a cloth between the iron and Ceconite? What temperature should the iron be set at?

Thanks for any advice.
    Those wingtips are FUGLY. How in the hell can anyone screw up that badly? I can't imagine a sensient being doing this! Is there a logbook entry for the wingtip covers or was it all signed off when the recover was done? Course lots of work get done undocumented by "owners" which is another "Black Lodge visit"! It is possible you could carefully remove the "MUMMY" wrapings then if the fabric is not fubar'd up do a re-tape?

Post Thanks / Like

It's old product that was left on the leading edge skin when recovered. I'd leave it, gives the golf ball effect. Good for at least 3-5 knots.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

A good fabric guy can make it look pretty but you are looking at about 40-50 hours of labor by the time it is all done.

its not the area you want to learn on.

Have you covered half a lifetime of model airplanes by any chance? Tissue, monokote, etc? If you have then you might have a chance. But it will take the uninitiated twice the professional amount of time and you just might make it worse.

You could if you were ham fisted cause any number of AMU's to be spent by doing somthing regrettable.

The the down time would make you cry.

Watch the Stewert Syrems videos online to get a general idea. It would be infinitely foolish to use any other adhesive for this repair.

So, sure it is fugly, but can you see it when you are cruseing at 2k living the dream? I thought not. Want to go to Oshkosh and not get laughed at, who cares about Oshkosh or all the walkabout googans at your airport. Fly the bird, it's a Tripacer for dogs sake and you could afford to buy her percisly because she was ugly here and there, you know, kinda like your first couple of easy girlfriends

You decide to tackle her, let us know, the Swporgers can walk you through it.

Rocket

ps. just coined the word Swporgers!
    Last edited by rocket; 06-10-2020 at 10:57 PM.