Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More wing questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More wing questions

This picture I chose to use as a reminder of my dad, bombardier, standing 2nd from right. Flew 33 misssions before coming home. I do not know of such incident with AAG. I remember the picture and the story but don't recall that being her. I do know that she and crew were lost somewhere north of the English Channel in October of '44, about 3 months after his tour was over.... hence myself, 4 four brothers and two sisters.

The internet is a wonderful thing. None of us knew this picture existed until I googled my name and found my dad's name listed in the crew along with this pic. He passed away when I was just 7, so I didn't have much of a chance to become familiar with the likely many tales and experiences of his service.

Lou (Ludvik J. Svetlik, Jr.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry E View Post
    Lownslow, is this the "All American Girl" that got hit with a German fighter and cut the fusalage almost in half and toook off the left horizontal and elavator?
    Terry.
    You are referring to "All American" http://www.b17model.com/tag/b-17-all-american-plane/

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more B-17's in need of repair.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/b-17/contents.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rib Screws

I am having a lot of trouble getting the RIB Screws out. 4 out of 10 just don't want to turn and the heads deform. Any tips?
    Theo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rib Screws

Seems I had to use my Snap-On hammer-operated (manual) impact driver on several of mine, backed up with a body shop metal-shaping dolly on the back side.... Other than that, "drill 'em out" might be the only solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I spray them with Aerokroil penetrent and if the head messed up I use a thin cut-off wheel to cut a groove in it for a straight slot screwdriver. The cut-off wheel heats up the screw and probably helps break it free. Valve grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver helps get a good bite as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I linked your thread with anotherone with some more info on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using the cut off wheel method to get them out. Its slow going but seems to be working.
    Thanks for combining the threads.
    Theo