Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Father's Plane

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Father's Plane

Just goofin' around and remembered I had this in digital form. Serving with (pilot) Lieutenant Seymour Eichen (front-center), my dad (bombardier) is standing, third from the left. He, Eichen, and most of this nasty crew flew over 35 missions into Germany in "All American Girl". The bombardier sat right up front (in the nose). He passed in '64, but he flies with me regularly. It's amazing what you can find when you google your name. I gave copies of this picture to all of my family last Christmas and it was a big hit with them.

Hope ya'll don't mind me sharing this.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Father's Plane

Cool. My Dad and and I got to climb all over the Memphis Belle when it was still in Memphis. I used to work on warbirds and loved going to airshows and meeting the folks who built, flew and maintained them. They can tell you things you can't learn in books. Too bad we are losing them at an alarming rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this!

When I see photos of these young men I always wonder what it would be like to hang out and hear their thoughts, dreams, and stories...if these pictures could only speak.

I'm sure you are proud of your father, You have every right to be!

A 'Thank You' to the veterans for your service! It is appreciated by the younger generations

Post Thanks / Like

Lou - great photo!

I wish I had the one on my office wall on file so that I could post it.
    It is of my uncle Phil and his Canadian crew (many RAAF pilots were trained on heavies in Canada - hence the Canadian crew) in front of "The Gremlin Chaser" his Short Stirling that won him and his crew a DFC. He went to Canada in the eighties for a reunion with his crew and always had fond memories of his time in Canada.

Curly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    Cool. My Dad and and I got to climb all over the Memphis Belle when it was still in Memphis. I used to work on warbirds and loved going to airshows and meeting the folks who built, flew and maintained them. They can tell you things you can't learn in books. Too bad we are losing them at an alarming rate.
    Until he passed a few years ago, I was friends with one of the crewmen from the Memphis Belle, Boy I wish I had recorded his stories!

Also my grandmothers second husband was a B-17 pilot, he flew 25 missions and got to go home...after a few months at home
    finding all the trouble he went looking for (barfights,drunk driving etc, trying to fill the excitement void) he went back and flew 25 more.
    (at least that's how my grandma told it, I never knew that guy)