Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New VGs on experimental Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default New VGs on experimental Pacer

I just recently finished installing VGs from www.landshorter.com on my experimental Pacer (99% PA 22/20). Does it ever make a delightful difference. Stall speed dropped about 7 kts or a little more. I was flying around at 39kts with full flaps the other day and it was really quite stable. I have not been a big fan of wheel landing in the Pacer in the past (I know, hard to believe for "Wheelie Wayne") but now I just come in tailwheel low and roll 'er up on the mains at touch down and it is a piece of cake. I am very pleased with the new slow flight characteristics, money for the VGs was well spent.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New VGs on experimental Pacer

This was my experience too with the Micro aero VGs I installed this past summer. I was surprised at how much difference they made in stability, aileron authority at slow speeds and elevator power in the flare. I had been reluctant to put them on before because I was worried about problems with wing covers in the winter, but that has turned out to be a non issue. Wish I would have installed them years ago.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New VGs on experimental Pacer

We had exactly the same experience as you Wheelie Wayne with our Micro VG's.
    Stall speed dropped 6 knots, and low speed stability is awesome - it feels like it's on railway tracks at 50 knots.
    Tail low wheelers are definitely the only way to go!

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Vortex Generators should I get?

Which VG's should I purchase?
    Stolspeed or Micro?
    My plane is experimental so Stolspeeds would work. Price is a big thing and the micros are expensive! I like how the Stolspeeds have some give and won't get damaged as easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Micro's but know nothing about Stolspeeds. If they perform the same...save the $.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some of the Landshorter VG's they are only $95 for 100 plus $4.95 shipping.
    But I have not installed them yet .Here is their info below.They have FAQ section. These are for Experimental.
    How much are the Stolspeeds?
    Harrison Designs, LLCTP.O. Box 365
    Kootenai, ID 83840
    1-877-272-1414 (toll free
    http://www.landshorter.com/page11.html

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If price is a major consideration, the stolspeed or landshorter sets would seem the choice. But the Micros are a proven product, and they come in a very complete kit including an illustrated manual, templates, adhesive and everything you need. I put them on my experimental several years ago and would do it again. The installation went well and I had confidence I got them on correctly. Performance gains were as predicted. They have tolerated wing covers in the winter, refueling, and being tied down outside with no problems. The only damage I’ve seen is one I bent probably when brushing snow off the wings, and that straightened right up with a pair of pliers. None have come off. In my book, the Micros are a quality product. I believe the price for experimental applications is $395.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Bob. Micro might cost a little more but they have been tested on our wings for optimal placement and are proven.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent Micro an email regarding whether or not they have a generic kit for experimental aircraft. Even though my plane is a pacer but not certified if I can save a couple hundred dollars then I'll order them!