Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ShortWingPipers.Org Threatened by Short Wing Piper Club Lawyers

Post Thanks / Like

In the mid-1980's when I was building my first Pa22/20 I joined the SWP organization and found it fairly useful. But even back then there was an undercurrent of "elitism" in the officer group that diisturbed me. When I started on my current PA22/20 project I looked at joing again but didn't at all like what I saw. Fortunately I found this site and here I am. I think the most revealing word in their complaiint i is "business". Which clealry evident attitude is the major reason I didn't rejoin.

Keep it up Steve! And I'm sure I can find some $ if you need it.

Bob
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Forgive my French, but this could be best described as Chicken **** in my opinion.

The fact they are using a portion of my annual dues, (and I’ve been a member of SWPC and formally TPOC “Tri-pacer Owners Club” for 28 or 29 years), towards a legal action directed at a non profit web site whose participants are for the most part their own SWPC membership, is unacceptable.

It would be interesting to determine just how many SWPC members are also supporters of this SWPO web site, and let the board of SWPC know how many of us are offended and disappointed in this action, and the negative impact to SWPC membership this sort of non sense could result in.

Steve you can count on my support however you need it.

Brian
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on joining the SWPC.
    Not any more.
    Count me in on the legal fees!!

Bill
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

I like the phrase "Moreover, Short Wing owes an important duty to it's customers and potential customers who have come to expect high quality in all services associated with Short Wing marks"

Who are they talking about? Certainly not the old Short Wing mob I used to be a member.

How many from this site are still members? As an enthusist organisation shouldn't every member be contacted as to any possible action? were they?

With the sort of action threatened possibly costing tens of thousands of dollars was the membership asked if that would be the right way to proceed?

I used to visit the old site forum now and again and looked this morning. there was no mention of legal action.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

This kind of attack from fellow enthusiast members of the SWPC to the existence of the SWPO is very disappointing. As is suggested, the move may well not meet with the approval of more than a few of their members anyway and will fizzle out once word gets around. I was lucky enough to get over to Oshkosh last summer and spoke with several people parked in the Short-wing Piper lines and they were all very friendly.

I run a VW club in the UK called the VW Type 3 & 4 Club. I had a letter like this from a US trademark protection lawyer acting for VW of America trying to stop me from using the VW name, but my understanding is that it is the name of the car model and as such cannot be trade-marked. I ignored it and never heard from them again. We used to send members Magazines and Newsletters, but now paper communications are secondary and most members are posting their adverts, questions and tips to the online forum. It is a pity the SWPC doesn't appreciate the value of having an active on-line community, but perhaps that is why they are worried.

If the expression Short-wing Piper has been in general use for many years to describe these fabric-wing Piper models, my understanding is that they cannot trademark it for themselves.

If there is substance to their legal claims rather than being just a hollow threat, it makes more sense to consider an alternative domain than line an attorney's pocket with hard-earned cash (apologies to any attorneys on here).

It would be better to work towards friendly co-operation rather than indulge in a legal war.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to needing financial help. Please Ask.

I joined around Jan '05, member '06, 07, 08, but didn't renew in '09 (sent my SWPC dues to Kathy). I attended two conventions, but didn't learn much. I met a few good people that seem to know about Short Wing Piper, but most were "ol guys" with pocket protectors for all of their pencils. Then... that very same "ol guy" bunch started to beat up on an "airline pilot" friend mine in Short Wing Pilot News...... His sin? He told them that they needed a web presence to attract a younger group.
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 01-22-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: missed an "ed"
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

I like the "NUTS" response. Let us know what you need. (I'm sure it's not this)
    Dave
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame.....I used to be a member of that club for several years until I got tired of reading the same crap month after month in the book they produced. It really seemed to me that very little effort was put into their website towards helping people educate themselves on how the planes we fly work, and how they are assembled. I learned more on my first visit to this site, than I ever learned over there. Any "Business" they do would be minimal at best, selling a few hats and T shirts is hardly big business, and I'm sure any lawyer wouldn't have troubles shooting there arguement full of holes.
    Steve, you have a great product here, In my opinion far superior to theirs. Don't let them bully you around.

Forrest Miller
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 01-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I joined here during the first month of this sites existence when it became obvious there was a limited future "back there". If they're forming a plan to wither and kill off that other site, they'll eventually accomplish the mission.

Like most of the other here, I'll help in any way you request.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

As an educator, I feel it is important to be involved in helping those that need help through scholarships. I just renewed my SWPC membership and donated to the scholarship fund. I should have saved my money and donated to the Shortwingpiper legal defense fund. Maybe someone should remind the SWPC officers of what the famous philosopher Rodney King said, "Can't we just all get along?" These guys are doughheads.
    Robert C
    0 0