Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Tri Pacer front seat removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri Pacer front seat removal

Yes, Student Pilot Owner just doesn’t have the same ring to it. Believe it or not, but Student Pilot is actually a certifiable rating now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    Hey Glen,

You're totally correct, but that's my nature. Plus, my flight instructor has stated he won't fly with me until I get this fixed and our on site A&P won't just remove the pin....

-Alana
    Switch the latch pins to opposite seats, with the erroneous cotter removed.
    Or have local welder fill the hole and then clean up the surfaces on a grinder.
    The spare cotter hole is below the load-bearing portion of the latch anyway, and will not impact strength or security.
    Jeez, you'd think this was an engine mount on the Space Shuttle.

Just looked at Univair, I think this is it:
    Front Seat Stop Plunger, PA-22,
    SN 3218, 3387 and up ...............................................120 32-002 .......... $85.07
    Jeez, maybe it is an engine mount on the Space Shuttle.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would see what the drawing CD shows for this assembly and compare to what you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooooo………. I was playing around with the front seat, (left) and of course it broke. Somewhere in the mechanism itself. the shaft I think is broke, seems spring and everything else is still up in there, tried to screw it back in, but it isn't having it. Now the seat won't budge, and it is all the way back. Any ideas on how to get the plunger to come down so I can get the seat out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdH View Post
    Sooooooo………. I was playing around with the front seat, (left) and of course it broke. Somewhere in the mechanism itself. the shaft I think is broke, seems spring and everything else is still up in there, tried to screw it back in, but it isn't having it. Now the seat won't budge, and it is all the way back. Any ideas on how to get the plunger to come down so I can get the seat out?
    I just had to deal with this myself. I put the seats in for a few minutes and on removal the co-pilot seat had the plunger pop out of the handle and fully into the seat rail. Our field A&P and I tried a small hole above the plunger and a pin drift to push it back down. When that didn’t work, it became clear the only way was out the top. So the hole was enlarged and what remained of the pin was extracted with one of my personally favorite tools, an o-ring pick. I manufactured a new plunger to replace the old one that was sacrificed.

It’s now had the seat plunger housing pushed up, and a new pin installed with about.050” longer on the top, and 0.2” longer pin on the bottom.this way if both split pins come off there’s still a nub of the bottom pin still sticking out the bottom to grab with vise-grip pliers.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add insult to injury... the pin I made failed at the upper hole. I purchased the univair sourced plunger, then noticed it requires an AN3 bolt to act as the pin... I purchased a couple of AN bolts from Aircraft Spruce... So when I got the official part, it’s just rough stock 3/8 diameter with a taper on one end and a 0.5 deep 10-32 thread hole on the other... even has a pantina of surface rust on the rough stock surface.