Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Tri Pacer front seat removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri Pacer front seat removal

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would remove the seat and take some pictures. The pin should fully engage.
    I’ve already removed the pin, but can easily put it back in and take some photos at the airport in a few hours. Maybe a better question might be: What is, or is there a preferential way to fix a seat locking pin with enough slop to release the seat? Because the spring is intact, as I have to apply pressure to remove the upper cotter pin, and the pin itself is relatively whole. It seems that the slop in the pin hole is the cause of it releasing.

Alana

Post Thanks / Like

So I was able to discuss this with the field’s resident A&P Bill. It seemed fully engaged, but occasionally the fully engaged pin would allow the seat to skip. I recorded a video to show what we found. Comments from one and all are welcome.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There should be a spring inside that keeps the plunger up. The left one is factory, the right one was modified with a bolt on the bottom instead of the shaft with the cotter pin hole. Left seems good, right doesn't engage as far. This is a link to photos and videos of one I have here.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QBM26N2dhucZwyELA

Post Thanks / Like

There is a spring and it’s compressed to install the top cotter pin, I thought about not putting the top cotter pin in which would allow the spring to push the pin up about 0.10 inches, but Bill wouldn’t hear of it... I’m thinking it just isn’t extended enough and is too loose in the hole. I’m taking my calipers to measure hole size vs pin size. Bill doesn’t think the slop makes any difference, while I’m concerned that it does. But he can sign it off as repaired, I’m just the person who owns the airplane, oh and over thinks everything like a proper rocket scientist would.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    It uses two cotter pins, one above the handle and the second below. Any ideas on how to get the mechanism back to dead reliable again? Thanks.
    I have never seen one with two cotter pins in the latching pin, one above and below the lever (handle.)
    My Tri-Pacer and the other five in our club all have just one cotter pin, as shown in Steve's photos.
    Are both seats the same arrangement, with a cotter pin above and below the lever?
    Something seems wrong there.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would look at the drawing and these pictures and go from there. I don't see how this assembly could slip, it engages the holes in the seat bottom with no slop.

Post Thanks / Like

So I measured the hole size and the pin. The pin measures 0.375” while the hole is more like 0.385-0.390 While I was there I removed the pilot’s seat, to add brake fluid and also looked at that side too. It only has one cottor pin under the handle. So I talked to Bill this evening. I told him about the pilot side only using one cottor pin, and that I think we ought to leave the top pin out on the co-pilot side. He’s going to work on it this week. Either way, I’m going to get this fixed.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Alalna,
    The left side pin sounds like it is the correct part, and the right side pin (two cotter holes) seems funky.
    Are they both the same overall length, or more importantly the same effective length, from cotter hole to business end of pin? If you remove the odd cotter and let the spring push pin to latched position, are the pins exposed the same distance (within 0.010")?
    A .375 diameter bullet pin in a .385~.390" hole seems reasonable. After 60+ years of service there will be a little wear in the hole but it should not be a problem.
    I think you are spending too many calories on this, far more than Piper did when they designed the thing!
    Just remove the obviously superfluous cotter and if the exposed ends are about the same length and engagement, and the actuation of seats seem that same, get flying!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Glen,

You're totally correct, but that's my nature. Plus, my flight instructor has stated he won't fly with me until I get this fixed and our on site A&P won't just remove the pin....

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Just my .02 but a simple logbook entry "remove erroneously placed cotter pin from seat latch" done by a private pilot owner seams to be the answer. But then again the instructor comment means you likely don't have your certificate. Not to mention the politics of pissing off your local A&P.

Cheers
    Ken

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk