Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stainless steel firewalls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stainless steel firewalls

I have seen several resto projects with new ss firewalls anyone know were to get one?? I could make it but Im close to finnishing this poject and am getting tired of making everything. (pa22/20)

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Clyde Smith the Cub Doctor makes these stainless steel firewalls. http://www.cubdoctor.com/assets/spec.../firewalls.htm His Dad was a test pilot at Piper and Clyde worked at Piper as well.

Post Thanks / Like

They're really pretty easy to fabricate, and anyone with a minimum of shop tools should be able to make one for you with little effort. That said, Clyde Smith sells them. They come with the "beading" to preclude oil-canning and acts as "stiffening" (which doesn't seem to be any real issue, but Piper didn't see the need for it so it isn't "stock looking". But, it doesn't look "bad" either). You can go to http://www.cubdoctor.com/assets/spec.../firewalls.htm for ordering/contact info. I do understand that "doing everything yourself" sometimes gets to the best of us, and these projects CAN sometimes "go on forever", and you can surely buy one faster and easier than fabricating one! Certainly not "more economically"...although $310 is just about what you can find a halfway decent bench top beader for, if you don't have access to one.

[edit] Goldarnit. I'm gonna stop answering the phone while I'm typing.
    Last edited by JohnW; 02-02-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Aced again!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I will look him up, as long as shipping is not to much 310 s not to bad considering the cost of material and getting the right stiffing humps in it to make it look right.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

John, All the firewalls I can remember had the beads. Do some not?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Yeah, welllll, you're right that all the TriPacers DID have the beads in the firewalls, according to Piper Dwg Effectivity. I went a little overboard with that statement. My only "excuse" is that the Colts had "plain" firewalls, and my last five restorations of PA-22s have been Colts. There are inconsistencies with the Colts as far as the Effectivity is concerned, though. I have 2 Colts [both PA-22/20s. One is -8222 and the other is -9728] and both of them have "plain" (unbeaded) firewalls even though Piper Drawing 14699 calls for the beaded firewalls on PA22- serial numbers 3387-8439. I haven't actually SEEN a beaded firewall on a single one of about 30 or so Colts of pre 8440 serial that I have actually looked at to confirm or refute exactly when they switched over. In other words...it seems to me it was before serial 8439, but I can't FIND ONE that has a beaded firewall! I would like to hear from anyone having a Colt before s/n 8440 with the beaded firewall (must be one that you believe is definitely "original to the airplane", if you please. Provenance is the tough part). Its a possibility that 8222 had it's firewall replaced at some point in time, but there is no other indication of it, and that doesn't explain why the 30 or so I have looked at would have ALL had theirs replaced, too.

I've even seen a couple Tripes with the plain firewalls as well (with the two "channels across the face"), but I cannot argue that either a late Colt firewall, or a "homegrown repop" hadn't been installed during a rebuild at some point. I think you will agree, though...anybody having done much work on shortwing Pipers can tell an original Piper one by the "texture" and color of the firewall.

You caught me on that one...but the "last of the breed" had the plain type firewall with the two horizontal channels doubling across the engine mount bolt holes. BTW, Steve's gascolator requires "a little filing" at that location on the Colts to provide a proper fit in the original mount bracket.

I think a "plain SS firewall" , with SS channels on the face...buffed to a mirror finish is about as cool as you can get (but I don't OWN ONE because I don't want to have to "re-buff" it, ever). "Semi-poilshed" is plenty, and I actually prefer painted with High Temp Ranthane, because it brightens the work area so much when the cowls are still on.

Post Thanks / Like

The price is much better than what was posted. I recall something like $140. Well worth it.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using one of Clyde Smiths Firewalls and it is a nice piece of work. I am very satisfied with it.