Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chuck, They are in Memphis being used on some Super Cub wings but should be able to be drop shipped to you next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bill, I used 1 1/4" square tubing for mine. The two horizontal tubes on the root end are 31" apart with a hole drilled in the bottom horizontal tube closest to the end which will be your front spar bolt. I drill the hole in the upper tube after I install the wing and mark the rear spar hole. The stand that attaches to the lift strut fittings use 3/4" tubes for the horizontal members 31" apart. The overall height is 46 1/2" for the wing root stand and 46" for the lift strut stand. These were made in a hurry so you might get a little more accurate. The thing I like is no paint is touched and they take up less room stored or loaded with wings than the sling type. Let me know if you need more dimensions and I will mark them and take photos.

Quote Originally Posted by captbill1956 View Post
    Re the wing stands: If you have a few spare minutes. I would like to get the dimensions and materials sizes for the wing stands. I'm fixing to pull the wings on my TriPacer and will need something to hold them. I was gonna build the old sling type, but these look mucho better. If you're too busy, I can pull the dimensions from the CD drawings.
    Thanks for your time and this forum.
    Bill Meredith
    N7749D

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the dimensions on the stands. I think they're the best design I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the wing in the wing strap pictures primed with? Looked good!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is white Polyfiber epoxy primer. I etched, alodined and epoxy primed all my aluminum parts and blasted, epoxy primed and paint with catalyzed polyurethane all my steel parts. I hope that Lee will only have to recover this in 20-30 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Someone asked me about wing rotators yesterday. I have a hoop that attaches to the lift strut fittings but this is one a friend built.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a Wag Aero root end that someone gave me. I have a similar one I built years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Someone asked me about wing rotators yesterday. I have a hoop that attaches to the lift strut fittings but this is one a friend built.
    What did the rotator attach to at the tips in the pictures? Screwed into the tip bows?
    Thanks.
    Bill Meredith
    Kingsland Texas
    N7749D

Post Thanks / Like

The original tip bows have a small fitting screwed to both spars that the rotator picks up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tools

Was reading the latest copy of The Cub Clues when I saw a neat article by Marvin Hoppenworth who is the guy behind the pedal planes like a built Lee several years ago. He had some pictures of his fuselage mover, wing rotator and tail feather paint fixture. I had been looking at different designs of tail feather fixtures and liked his the best. Dana at the Cub Club sent me a picture and I worked off of that. Got it finished today and it works really nice.
    DSCF0127.jpgDSCF0128.jpgDSCF0131.jpgDSCF0132.jpgDSCF0133.jpgDSCF0134.jpg