Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randolph Color Q-1920 Piper Trainer Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Randolph Color Q-1920 Piper Trainer Blue

I'm just wondering if anyone might have an old Randolph Color chart with a chip of this color, that they'd either let me have, borrow, or would be willing to take somewhere and get it sampled for color matching. Piper Trainer Blue Q-1920. I'm wanting to get it color matched in an enamel for painting the fuel tank and later the instrument panel in my Vagabond. I don't believe the Piper Trainer Blue on the Stits/Poly-Fiber color chart is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Aircraft Spruce or PTI Specailaty paints. I am assuming this is what you are looking for. They have differnt types of paints laquers and enamels but this is one of their colors. 09-15182-13 - Piper Trainer Blue. Hope this helps. I think they have a color chart either on the Aircraft Spruce or the PTI web sites. Blue Skies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brett, I have several versions of the old Randolph color charts. PM me your address and I can loan you one. I will also check the accuracy of the color and the availability of it. There are a few distributers who have matched the old colors. When Polyfiber bought Randolph they didn't get the colors matched very well and it has caused many headaches. Luckily some of their vendors took the time to experiment and match the colors themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

NHPacerPilot,

Thanks. That's a source I hadn't looked at. Unfortunately looking at their color chart, the Piper Trainer Blue appears to be identical to the Poly-Fiber color, which is a considerably lighter blue than the old Randolph color.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Sent you the PM. Clyde Jr. had pointed me to a distributor that had matched the color, but unfortunately they only had it available in Aerothane.

It just kills me knowing that a few years ago I could have just ordered Q-1920 from Randolph, when they were still in Carlstadt, NJ. For that matter I could have just stopped by Randolph. I used to go into Teterboro all the time, and didn't know they were within a few blocks of the airport.

Unfortunately Consolidated Aircraft Coatings that now sells the Randolph colors only copied the colors off of Randolph's most recent color chart at the time. All of Randolph's older colors were just abandoned. I have a wonderful old color chart that Randolph actually sent me back in the 1990's, which has some great colors on it. (True Blue, Cub Blue, Sacramento Green, International Orange, Stearman Vermillion, Green Metallic, etc.) Unfortunately it doesn't include Piper Trainer Blue Q-1920.

Thanks Steve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I scanned one of my old color charts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that Steve. Let me know if you come up with anyone who has a good match for that color (preferably in enamel). Otherwise I'll try to get it duplicated off the chart you're sending.

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

It turns out that I had a good sample of the original "Piper Trainer Blue" color hiding in my airplane. The "Seat Back Tube Assembly" appears to have never been repainted, and it's easily removable. It appears "Piper Trainer Blue" is very close to a color Ford used on Mustangs from 1967-69 called "Acapulco Blue", and possibly identical.

1968 Ford Color Chart

1968 Shelby GT 350 in Acapulco Blue
    Last edited by BrettL; 03-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default visual for piper colors ?

I ordered and rcvd. my color chart in the mail from Stewart's systems. So now i know what
    I have to pick from. My question---- is there anywhere on the web that has a chart for piper's colors
    from the 1950's and 60's I could look at the see which stewarts color is closest to a particular piper
    color from back in the day ?

Done some googleing but so far nothing -----

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: visual for piper colors ?

Seems like I've seen a list of original colors, possibly a version of the parts manual....
    "Progress is our most important problem"