Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternative to IPhone for weather and NOTAMs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternative to IPhone for weather and NOTAMs

For those of you who may be familiar with the free YAWS mobile phone weather service (yaws.mobi), the site owner has just developed a new application for Android mobile phones. From the screen shots I have seen it looks very good and will, for example:
    * fetch copyright-free data directly from the US National Weather Service,
    * fetch both TAF and METAR, as you would expect, and for many airfields at a time,
    * find all TAF and METAR available within 100 miles of your current geographic location.
    * calculate Density Altitude at each airfield,
    * calculate Sunset times at each airfield,
    * will provide the official Flight Category pertaining at an airfield when a METAR was issued
    * will allow the saving and recall of popular searches for a range or airfields
    * entry of simple codes will do complex searches for example ~US will return the weather data for all US airfields that propagate METAR
    * will allow ICAO lookups on a country or US state search basis.

Available now from Goggle Markets for only a few USD
    (by the way, the original YAWS service returns in a few weeks time - server was hacked).
    Tony
    p.s I have no connection whatsoever to the owner of YAWS - I just use the service

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our technology today is amazing. I remember how in awe I was a few years ago sitting under a pavilion at a fly-in looking at blue skies watching a thunderstorm about to roll in on us on someone's cell phone.