Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pa 22 nose bowl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pa 22 nose bowl

I need to replace my nose bowl on my pa 22/20. Is using the fiberglaess nose bowl agood idea ? There sure is a big Difference in cost. Will they last etc.

Thanks
    sbjmobil

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a fiberglass nose bowl on my PA 22/20 for 20 years....it is just fine. I would like it to be carbon fiber.

I modified it when I moved the oil cooler to the rear of the engine...which was easy, since it was fiber galss.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Sbjmobil,

I have also had Fiberglass Nose Bowls installed on my PA22-20 180. As above, any "mods" like changing the oil cooler location are easier to deal with.

If I was successful, I attached some current photos.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I like it and it's split too.
    Where is that from?
    Any paperwork required to use a composite n/bowl?

Post Thanks / Like

JoeB,

I should probably expand on the comments above, The Fiberglass / Composite Nosw Bowl has worked on my Pacer (22-20) for the past 25-30 years, as it was installed during the TailWheel conversion and original documentation did not survive, but assume that it was "documented" in a Field Approval, and it did get mentioned in the log book.

They (composite) nose bowls are initially "afordable", but do require some hand work to make them fit & function as your paticular application dictates. My current nosw bowl is from Spruce, I beleive it is the MC-3A (05-01183) at about 100.00 bucks. Compaired against an Uni-Vair metal one it is cheap, however you will need to do more work to get the final finish etc on the fiberglass one. The Fiberglass one is heavier, but maybe only a couple of pounds. There is a listing for a "Piper Type, two piece Nose Bowl" as well for 225.00 in the 2005 spruce catalog, probably a bit more now.

E-mail me at john.f.kobbeman@boeing.com if you are interested in the build photos .

John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the threads, I'm sold on using the fiberglass type.

Leo Bachman

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We got my Dad's from Stoddard's in Anchorage. It is reinforced with Kevlar and has held up well but is around $500. It is 1 lb lighter than aluminum and doesn't need any finish work done to it. I did spend a lot of time stretching a new bottom cowl lip to fit the angle of the lower lip of the nose bowl however. Not sure if this has been corrected as this was several years ago. http://www.stoddardairparts.com/stcmods.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I've developed a two-piece carbon fiber nose bowl for the PA-22, photos of prototype attached. I've also developed a lightweight carbon fiber molded console for use with Steve's Aircraft long skylight. It incorporates provisions for inertial reel shoulder harness attachments plus headset jacks. I built the molds so I can do short production runs of these parts. I run a small custom boat building company and have lots of talent in the composites department - might as well make full use of it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Todd, That is awesome. I am interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very interested in this thread, not that I'm ready for a nose bowl yet, but I hope to need one soon.
    Please bear with me as I am still a rookie here, how do we 'legally' use these parts when they are not FAA approved? Does a copy of someones 337 do it?
    Is this a secret handshake, wink wink kind of thing?
    I'm really not excited about, or able to, spend $1000s rebuilding the cowling of my Pacer! This sounds like a great option.