Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocker Covers

Post Thanks / Like

Be carefull about using ECI SS covers on 0320 engines. Someone tried them and found that they cracked because there isn't as much clearance with the rocker arms as there is with Lyc covers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Len. I just stripped and repainted the original AVCO-Lycoming covers with High Temp Engine Enamel and High Temp Engine clear coat. They look great and it did not cost very much.

Post Thanks / Like

How is the lost oil pressure search going?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talked to ECI at the AK Airman Show. They are currently out of stock of the stainless steel rocker covers but should have them soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len Solomon View Post
    Be carefull about using ECI SS covers on 0320 engines. Someone tried them and found that they cracked because there isn't as much clearance with the rocker arms as there is with Lyc covers.

I have had ECI Stainless Steel rocker covers on my O-320 for about 4 years and 400 hours with no problems. I am using the red silicone reusable rocker gaskets which my provide a little more clearance. Comparing the ECI covers visually however with the stamped MILLENIUM covers I removed there was no apparent difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hi Dave,
    Case and crank are at shop. They are replacing the PRV seat in the case. They are also removing the nozzles and plugging the holes. Everything else checked out fine. The seat was changed from the old style to the new style and was off enough to affect the pressure. I'm not sure if it was a bad seat or bad installation. They will be shipping it back to my mechanic by the end of the week. We are all crossing our fingers. Thanks for asking. All clearances were fine and all parts passed NDT.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I have had ECI Stainless Steel rocker covers on my O-320 for about 4 years and 400 hours with no problems. I am using the red silicone reusable rocker gaskets which my provide a little more clearance. Comparing the ECI covers visually however with the stamped MILLENIUM covers I removed there was no apparent difference.
    Ditto for me. I installed mine the same way, also 4 or 5 years ago. I just thought ECI was silly when they sent me my SS covers at extra cost and would not include an ECT decals for the covers.....they wanted me to pay extra to advertise them after spending close to $4000.

No problem...I'm fine with my nice clean and bare SS covers.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Just took my Lycoming covers to the shop here in Houston that does Jay Leno's chrome work. Think they are going to cost about me about $50 a piece (got'um for free, so). If you can still turn up SS ECI's, probably better deal.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with chrome plating is if they do not plate copper on first the chrome will flake off eventually or sooner. Cheap chrome operators skip this step.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point on the copper, Gilbert. Thanks. I'll make sure they are doing that first.