Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Harness Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulder Harness Installation

I'm about to install the shoulder harnesses from Wag Aero for the front seats. Has anybody done this that could pass along any tips to make it easier? It looks pretty difficult to get behind the headliner.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wag Aero Shoulder Harness Installation

We have not installed these, however attached is pics showing installation of shoulder harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Question Univair Shoulder Harness

Has anyone installed the AMSAFE Restraint Systems (Shoulder Harness & Inertia Reel) from Univair? If so do you have pics? We are planning on installing these during our rebuild and would appreciate any info available. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see an inertia reel system as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been in a Tri-Pacer that had a Wag-Aero harness installed. My complaint is that since I am 6' 1" I fly with the seat all the way back. The shoulder harness is like a headrest at that point since the cross member in the roof it right above the seat. Then during landing you have to loosen it to reach the flap handle to the point it will not provide any protection. I am looking at using a Cessna service kit for the 170-175, and welding attachments above the aft portion of the rear windows of my Pacer. This is a diagional belt across the pilot like in your car. This would allow a better location for an inertia reel too, although I have not planned to install one at this time. This would be a hard job on a completed plane but, a bolt in installation might work with a little effort.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had the Tripacer, I used my right foot to bring the flaps up to the first notch, where I could then use my hand for the rest if I really felt it necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the harnesses this weekend and I am not happy for several reasons. The biggest deal is that I am now convinced that the few intallations I have seen were done with the healiner removed. I tried making a nice little slit in the headliner and performing the surgery through that little hole as well as having limited access through the nearby zipper. Just the tension that was put on the zipper from my hand being in the zipper hole ripped the headliner at the bottom of the zipper. Also each little slit I made for the harness ended up ripping and now I have two holes the size of my fist. And believe me, I'm no haker! I was very careful but the hole just grew, mostly while tring to get the clamp over the tube then getting it squeezed tight enough to get the bolt through the hole, which took plyers to do. I had pre-fabricated the cool little plates that are in the picture Tbird provided, but they wouldn't even come close to covering the damage now.
    And now after jacking up my headliner to install these shoulder harnesses, I don't even like them. The lap belts that they mate to, like most standard lap belts only have a quick adjust on one side. But you need to have the latch directly in the center of your lap for it to be effective. If it latches off to the side, that is where the shoulder harness mates and you end up with on shoulder harness chaffing your neck anf the other side falling off of your shoulder. So no big deal right? Just adjust the length of the lap belt so that when you cinch it, it is centered on your body. That works, but now when you have differing size passengers you have to make that custom adjustment each time. And for me, that varies a lot since my son flies my plane too and he is much thinner than I am.
    Another thing I don't like about the shoulder harnesses is that where they have sewn pieces together, there are what I call burrs that chafe my neck and also catch on my clothing when I lean forward to grab the flap handle.
    So here is my consumer report evaluation. If you're going to install shoulder harnesses, wait until you plan on having the headliner out for some reason or just plan on taking it out for the job. I guess you could consider hiring a laporscopic surgeon to perform the surgery through that little hole, but that could be costly . But no matter what, don't get the Wag Aero harnesses. Besides all that I have already said about them, one other gripe is that you have to keep them so loose so you can reach the flap handle, I'm not sure they would do any good if you ever need them. Buyer beware!

Post Thanks / Like

After purchasing my 1951 PA 22-130 Tri Pacer (N828A) last year the first thing I did was install shoulder harness. I purchased the strapes from Aircraft Spurce and the stainless steel mounting brackets from Altee Dodge. I can only speak for my self and tell you I had very little problem with installation - just take your time and be careful with the head liner. When operating the flaps - from a modified flap extention handle - I loosen the straps just a little so I can reach the flap handle, no big deal and I still have plenty of support in the event of an unexpected landing turning bad without picking my teeth out of the instrument panel... :>)

The shoulder harness is an excellent investment in safety in exchange for any discomfort.

Best Regards
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a vinyl or wool headliner? I have the wool liner and it began to rip at the base of the zipper the minute I stuck my hand through the zipper hole (insert dirty joke here).

Post Thanks / Like

I've not put shoulder a harness in my plane yet but it's pretty high on the list. The flap handle issue is why I've always leaned toward installing the inertial reel setup. Although it adds significantly to the price tag, I would think it would be worth it.

I have the wool liner and it had a few holes in it. I bought some clear thread and a small curved needle to sew it back together. I was pretty impressed with myself how good it looked when I was done. However, most of mine were along seams. I think they should install one 4ft long zipper in headliners going front to back. Doing anything thru those small zippers is nearly impossible.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb