Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Harness Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shoulder Harness Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Look at AC43.13 on installing seat belts. What year PA20 do you have, didn't realize they had rear seat heat. A clamp or cable around the fuselage tube attached to the seat belt should suffice. Piper used a steel strap to keep the heat off the seat belt from the rear seat heater.
    It’s a ‘53 PA20. With the front and rear heat, the insulation and an O320 it keeps the cabin toasty in the winter even up here in Chicago.

I’ll take a look. Anything will be better then attaching it to that bench seat frame. What an awful design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I've got a 53 PA22 that I'm installing harnesses in this winter. I also have the rear seat heat and need to figure out where to mount the lap belts. I was going to pull the pans and stare at it a bit come the time, but I would love to hear a recommendation.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I believe there is a picture of a clamp in this thread to tie the center seat belt mount to the fuselage. Wicks sells structural clamps as well. A strap to raise the seat belt like Piper did in the later models to keep the rears eat heat from damaging the belts as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that if you are installing seat belt attach fittings to the fuselage structure for the center attach point, and you have a rear seat heater, then you should also be complying with AD 60-05-03 by installing seat belt extender part number 14920-02. The attach method can be seen on drawing 14705 section H-H. This drawing doesn’t show the extended link, only the original installation.

Likewise, if you are putting a center seat belt attach in an early PA-22 rear seat, the cross tube on them was only 5/8 X .035. Later PA-22s that came with individual lap belts had 1 1/8 X.049 for the same tube. The 5/8 tube isn’t strong enough to hold in a 9G crash! I ran the numbers, and you can use a 1 X .035 just barely meets the requirements. I would strongly suggest replacing that tube!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inertia reel seatbelts for experimental Pacer?

Hi all,
    New to the site. Just bought an experimental Pacer with the Bushmaster conversions. Looking for input on a inertia reel seatbelt setup that you may have installed and like and has cheaper prices than the STC'd versions. Where did you mount the belt attach points? Did you have to weld in some additional bracing so the seatbelt 'Y" or "H" wouldn't rub on your neck? Which manufacture did you use and was the price less for experimental aircraft?

Thanks, Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inertia reel seatbelts for experimental Pacer?

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ight=seatbelts

Did a search on "seatbelts" and this link has loads of info.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Merged the thread. Look at the previous posts for lots of options and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent hours trying to find any image of a early Tri Pacer (mine is a 53) with rear seat heat showing where the lap belt is mounting. I haven't pulled my floor yet (figured I would get everything on hand first) but it looks like the heater is right over the tube. Can anyone post an image showing where it mounts?

Thanks!
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krwill View Post
    I have spent hours trying to find any image of a early Tri Pacer (mine is a 53) with rear seat heat showing where the lap belt is mounting. I haven't pulled my floor yet (figured I would get everything on hand first) but it looks like the heater is right over the tube. Can anyone post an image showing where it mounts?

Thanks!
    Ken
    Look at drawing 13038 section C and you will see the lap belts attached to a tab welded to the center of the bottom seat frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulder Harness Installation

Quote Originally Posted by krwill View Post

Thanks!
    Ken
    Don’t forget, with the rear heat, you need the extenders to comply with AD 60-05-03. That is, if you modify the fuselage to attach to the fuselage rather than the seat frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk