Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Harness Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shoulder Harness Installation

P1260827.jpgThe liner is fabric. The inertia reel is mounted on a strap welded over the tube crossmember so that the reel is as high as possible, and tilted down about 20 degrees. The hole has a thin aluminium sheet stiffener. Very neat and works fine. A bit fiddly to get the reel out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 59pacer View Post
    P1260827.jpgThe liner is fabric. The inertia reel is mounted on a strap welded over the tube crossmember so that the reel is as high as possible, and tilted down about 20 degrees. The hole has a thin aluminium sheet stiffener. Very neat and works fine. A bit fiddly to get the reel out.
    Very nice . . did you do the install with the airplane covered? Obviously you at least had the headliner out.

CM Aviation never called back . . going to have to bug them for options.

Post Thanks / Like

No fabric or liner installed when I did this Pacer, so I could have a suitable bracket welded on.
    On the previous Pacer restoration the fabric was already on, so I bent up a 4130 bracket shaped like a P clamp to go around the cross member. The 'leg' of the P was at the top so I could incline it down without intruding on my own headspace.
    The reels were off something like a Saratoga--used for the diagonal type passenger restraint. The reels were a bit bigger than some of the newer types, but the forward edge of the reel is just clear of the liner, and the reel is locked in place so it can't rotate.
    The hole in the liner is just long enough to allow the belt to hang down under it's own weight, or cope with it over my shoulders when I'm leaning fully forward, without the belt contacting the liner and causing it to wrinkle. The width of the hole is just a little wider than the belt width--I've never heard of a Pacer with enough room to move sideways much!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulder Harness Installation

A friend of mine has a set for sale. Inertial reels, lap belts both front and back. $400

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmoyle; 04-07-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So are you buying them or offering them up for sale?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have...They're to short for my Pacer because the inertial reel mount is nearly 12" aft of the rear spar carry through tube.. Paul (good friend in Soldotna Ak) has them up for sale on the Bearhawk group. He gave me permission to post them up here.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark I have the same problem. I have a set of Wagaero belts but they are also too short on the Y. (the bit that goes to the reel)
    I have looked at other brands, but they all seem to have a similar problem if not specially made. I have taken mine to a local seat belt repairer to have the belt that attaches to the inertia reel, increased in length.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping Paul's would work...would if I hadn't made a mount aft...Paul did the same on his Bearhawk. Now the for sale set is to short. Pretty sure they'd fit a Pacer/Tripacer if mounted to the rear spar carry through tube. I'll have a set custom made once I have finished the seat upholstry...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulder harness attachment point

Some SW Pipers have their shoulder harness attachment point being the upper fuselage cross tube. A simple arrangement that has the harness strap (end of "Y") wrapped around the tube (secured with the harness buckle).
    Does anyone know if this is covered by a STC or other official mod. process?
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shoulder harness attachment point

Does anyone actually have details of the original Piper Shoulder harness kit - Part numbers drawings etc?