Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 brake conversion question

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 brake conversion question

Hello Folks:
    We're doing our first annual on our new (to us) PA-22-150. One of the attractions of this airplane was that it had the Cleveland brake conversion under the Williams STC SA09150SC. This STC allows the use of wheel assembly 40-86 and brake assembly 30-55. There is a 337 in the logs which states that wheel assembly 40-86 and brake assembly 30-55 were used IAW the STC. Come to find out in reality they used 40-97A wheels and 30-63A brakes, which are NOT allowed per the STC. So, the airplane is not airworthy until this gets fixed. My choices seem to be either rip these parts off and replace them with the correct parts or try to get field approval.

Does anyone out there have this wheel/brake combination? It would be a great help to know that someone else had already gotten approval for these parts.

Thank you,
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only difference in the caliper is the piston bore on the one you have is 1/8" larger. I bet they used the075-01600 torque plate since that one fits the Piper axle. The wheel halves for both wheels you list are the same part numbers 161-03000 inner and 162-02700 outer. Only difference is the brake disc part number. Probably a different offset if I was to guess. The wheel would be the limiting factor if you were trying to use a wheel with a lower load rating but they are the same. Looks like you have an 1/8" bigger diameter piston which would give you a bit more braking power. I would see what airplane the brakes that you have are off of and use all the data to obtain a field approval. It appears that your parts are as good or better than those called out in the STC. Rex Malone got the Williams STC but had a hard time finding a decent set of used wheels and brakes per the STC cheaper than buying a new set If I remember right the ones called out in the STC are no longer available new or are very expensive. He was seeking a field approval for a comparable set that he bought new last I talked to him. I will send him a note and see if he can shed some light on what he has done.

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought the Williams STC. When I started looking for the brakes listed on the STC I found that about all that was available was a bunch of old stuff that were priced like new. I to am going to use the brakes that you have on your aircraft but will use the drawings of both brakes/wheel combinations along with the STC paperwork to get a field approval. For some reason the 40-97A and 30-63A are very affordable using a kit STC'd for most of the cessna aircraft 120-182. About half of the price for a new set of the ones listed on the wWilliams STC. The Cessna mounting plates even line up with the bolt holes in the Pacer axles. I know that there are several people that have substituted those part numbers for the ones on the STC because spec wise they are almost identical. I know this does not solve your problem but hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. We're trying for field approval. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to jump into this same boat.
    How did you progress, Ed ?

Mr. Malone, Do you have the specific part #'s for the wheel and caliper assys. ?

What is the $ of the Williams STC ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

to all concerned I also have the williams toe brake conversion with the 40-97 and 30-63. it shows in the logs that it was stc 337approved several years ago. no problems with the conversion and parts are readily available. i am in the bahamas for the next 3 months, so i can not access hte paper work, but the last time this subject came up, i checked it all very very closely. so install an go for field approval. according to my logs, it all happened very quickly, less than a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 brake conversion question

Anyone have any luck with getting these approved? I am interested how it went.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I have a field approval for the 30-63Q brake and 40-97D wheels. This is the Stinson kit. email me at pmanton at tds dot net if you need a copy of the 337. I won't respong until next Monday. I'm out the door to Univair for the Cub Doctor's seminar.

Paul\
    N1431A
    N2426E
    2AZ1

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul. Email sent.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I now own a newly purchased PA 22 150 & have discovered that
    in order to put larger main tires on it I have to have a different brake
    conversion kit than the one that is on it........The one that is on it is
    a cleveland disc brake configuration for the PA 22 Colt 108 and the
    required conversion kit also requires a different size axel, all of which
    totals to about $3000.......Does anyone know of an alternative?