Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at picture #3, it looks like you have capped off one of the hot air outlets (I guess it was supposed to provide carb heat), and put a small muff on the #4 stack which appears to supply carb heat. Any particular reason?

Post Thanks / Like

The cap was on when I got it. That outlet is for the back seat heat. I just havent hooked it up. Dont know if I need it or not, the main heat puts out tons of heat and air volume. The heat muff also came with the LEE and is installed per DWG.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I have just put the LEE on my Pacer. I have seen a 150-200 rpm rise, and noticeable increase in T/O and climb performance. Everyone says it sounds "throatier" - (someone even said it sounded like an O-540) Awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Those are nice looking exhausts.....but I just have to ask..... why so many weird curves. Those bends reduce flow. Are they doing that to create equal length tubes??

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. Seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Craig,

You have your bird back in the air?! That's good news. How are you liking the Trimmer gear? We need to see pics.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul, yip - the Chaser is finally airbourne!!
    Only got 3 hours on the engine, so still running it in, but an evil spirit did get hold of me last night, and I couldn't resist one little gravel bar and stretch of water..... at least the legs held on
    So far, my impressions of the new mods are :
    Trimmer gear - One word ... Awesome. Strong, and gives HEAPS of ground clearance, and angle of attack (16 degrees on the ground). Vis over the nose is better than I thought it would be.
    Leading Edge exhaust - 150-200 more rpm. Definintely more "tow" on takeoff and climb.
    Sullivan wing extension - the aircraft gets airbourne quicker, but haven't done much slow flying yet. New tips look cool.
    Got some good pics coming soon.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic and congratulations. That's going to be a really fun machine. Let the adventures begin!

Post Thanks / Like

With the LEE system giving more RPM, has anyone repitched their prop to bring the static rpm down a bit?
    Any effect on fuel consumption?

Post Thanks / Like

Crag, did the Trimmer gear slow your cruise any. I just installed extended PA-18 gear and safety cables and we lost about 10 mph cruise.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."