Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen - Nope, haven't seen any speed change in cruise at all. Might have lost a few knots with the PA18 gear, and picked up a couple with the wing extensions.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

hello Craig,
    Great looking plane. I for one would like your observations on the mods and their affects going forward too. For example, Stephen notes a loss in cruise from the trimmer gear and you suggested that you may have gained that back with the Sullivan's. You should also have 10 to 15 more horses from the LEES and better fuel economy maybe. As you break the engine in and get a good idea of how these mods affect performance i would love to hear about it. I'm sold on the Sullivan's myself but the cost of the LEES puts me off a bit. Anyway, good luck with her!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan. Will definitely post some info once I have got a few more hours on the machine.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen,
    You too? Big gear? Cool. You kept a good secret. Is it Trimmer's STC or did you do something else. Have you added BW's yet? More cruise reduction in your future. When we added the cub gear to my plane, I lost a good 5-7 mph in cruise. Using Maule oleos (ala Trimmer) is more streamlined that external hydrasorbs so I'm not too surprised that Craig hasn't been slowed down. He was already running 31's and that's where the drag is. Look forward to seeing pics from you and first hand when you get here in July. You are really transforming that plane!

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really interested in the Leading Edge exhaust for my PA22/20-160. The KW Aviation website has a note that there are 2 different mounts possible, and the way to check is to measure the distance from the firewall to the intersecting lower tubes. If it is 3" the exhaust may not fit, if it is 4" the exhaust will fit. Mine is 3". Anyone got any ideas about this? I thought that all the PA22 mounts were the same.

Post Thanks / Like

No I think all the mounts are the same, except for some brackets here and there. I have a 52 TriPacer and when I put the LE on my airplane I bought a new engine mount. It was for the latest model 59-60 PA-22 160, and it was the same as my old one except the bracket for the brake master cyl. was missing. Not wanting to spend the extra money I sent it back. You will have to work on the tail pipe, I had to cut and bend it to miss the engine mount and go out the bottom of the aircraft.
    I think the airplane they used for their initial install probley had a bent engine mount. I do highly recommend this exhaust for our airplanes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The mounts all measure the same unless you have an aftermarket dynafocal engine mount. I have heard of several people not being able to just bolt this exhaust on. Seems to take some modification. I have installed it on Super Cubs and it is a very nice system though there is a lot going on with much tubing and it is a lot heavier.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Group buy discount - Leading Edge Exhaust system

Hello Everyone,

As I get closer to collecting all of the required parts for a flying aircraft, I keep going back to the Leading Edge Exhaust system.

I spoke with Wayne from KW Aviation today about a group buy and he will be calling me back with a discounted price. A group buy will require 5 system so I'm looking for at least 4 interested PA20/PA22 owners to make this happen.

If you are unfamiliar, here is the link to their website: http://www.kwaviationinc.com/id68.html

The system requires the use of the O-320 mount and Wayne also reported that due to the larger tubing size there can be clearance issues with the steering rod at full deflection (on PA22).

BTW - If anyone has a good O-320 mount they would like to sell, please PM me!

Best regards,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested. If I remember right there is a particular mount that doesn't work. How would you figure out if your mount works? Did he give any idea of when this exhaust will eliminate the 50hour AD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twofieros View Post
    I am very interested. If I remember right there is a particular mount that doesn't work. How would you figure out if your mount works? Did he give any idea of when this exhaust will eliminate the 50hour AD?
    AD 68-05-01 Exhaust Muffler Inspection per paragraph (a) and (b) no longer applies with the Leading Edge Exhaust System installed. The shroud still requires annual inspection but I understand it is much less labor intensive due to the exhaust system design (maybe someone with experience with this can add details - Steve Pierce or others?)
    And to determine which mount you have, measure between the firewall and the intersecting lower tubes. If 3", its an O-290 mount if 4" its an O-320 Mount.