Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleeding Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bleeding Brakes

I know there was some talk on this forum several months ago, but I couldn't find the previous thread. Can anyone spell out for me the method for bleeding brake lines? I strongly suspect some air in mine. I have pilot-side matco toe brakes with the reservoir built-in to the master cylinder. I have all the tools (like a pump for the oil) just need the knowledge. If you feel led to reply, please write like you're giving instructions to your teenager! Thanks!

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a hose barb fitting that screws into the top of the master cylinder at the brake pedal where the vent plug goes. It has a hose on it that I stick in a cup. I then brake loose the bleeder fitting on the caliper at the wheel and stretch a vinyl hose over the fitting that attaches to a garden sprayer filled with 5606 hydraulic fluid that has a shut off valve in the line. A squirt can works as well. Pump the fluid up from the caliper through the brake line and into the master cylinder. The clear vinyl hose I use from my master cylinder to my catch jar will allow me to see when all the air bubbles are gone. Tighten the bleeder fitting at the wheel and disconnect everything and the brake is bled.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clear hose to the caliper!

I do the same as Steve. Steve said in part: "vinyl hose over the fitting that attaches to a garden sprayer filled with 5606 hydraulic fluid that has a shut off valve in the line".

Except, Steve is your vinyl hose clear?

I use a clear hose from the garden sprayer to the brake caliper. I can see when there are NO AIR bubbles being injected into the system. I have an oil pan under the caliper, and I loose or spill a few drops of fluid around the fitting, (pressure on), then I open the fitting on the slave caliper. My clear line has a tight slip on fit, or you can use a hose clamp.

Hope the above makes sense: Positive pressure on the fitting, no air allowed in!
    With the black line that comes on most of these garden sprayers, you can just connect a short clear line.

Good luck with your bleeding!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bleeding Brakes

Resurecting an old post here.

Steve or anyone else, do you have photos of your setup? My left brake is really weak at best. I know there is air in there and can't seem to get it out.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Is the hose barb regular pipe thread?

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will take some pictures and post. Most master cylinders are pipe thread but some use a straight thread. I have a collection of different fittings I made. Remove the filler plug and see what you have. Had to do one last night that was 8-32 thread. It is a pain to drill a straight hole through an 8-32 screw and cut the head off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is my pump up sprayer with shut off valve. I use a piece of vinyl hose that fits over the bleeder fitting at the hose and I wrap safety wire around it to seal. I have different fittings for different master cylinders. Bleed up and watch the air bubbles in the hose at the master cylinder. These pictures are of bleeding brakes on a Super Cub but same idea just different type master cylinder.
    58Bleeding.jpg

58Cylinder.jpg

58Image039.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Do you have a setup for drum brakes?

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Takes a drilled screw with the head cut off the fit in the bleeder fitting if memory serves me correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep-- as usual, Steve's right... On the original drum brakes (at least on my PA-22), the "bleeder" is simply a screw. Naturally, it has to be removed to get fluid in, and then quickly replaced --as fluid begins to drip back out-- after pumping fluid in. Good hand-eye coordination exercise.

In the attached pic, you can see the head of the screw poking out of the "bleed fitting" behind the backing plate. (Pay no attention to the incorrect eccentric shoe adjuster there at the top, it's now history ....)

Walt

DSC04086.jpg