Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail Seals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tail Seals

Is there an STC out there for seals on the horizontal stab as well as the gap between the horizontal stab and the fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like

Frank Sperandeo has the gap seals for sale, I believe. Check it out here: http://members.cox.net/mspearl/modsforsale.html.

-Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any STCs mentioned, are fairings and gap seals not an STC item? Because I'd love to make gap seals for my Clipper, especially the tail.

-Grant

Post Thanks / Like

I think Frank did his with a 337. I would guess that he could supply a copy of his 337 with the seals, but you would have to ask him.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Rihn's "One Design" uses a teflon (I think) wedge in the rudder and tailplane gap. I don't know if it's certified or not - might be worth checking with Dan Rihn.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the legality of using tape is. Just on an experimental basis to see if it would be worth doing permanently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cub Crafters sells a rubber moulding material that fits between the elevator and stabilizer. They are working on an STC. Maule uses a 3M tape on the top of the elvtor and the bottom of the stabilizer to seal the gap. Alaskan Bushwheels sells this tape. When I was working in Alaska last spring the AK State Troopers had the tape on their Super Cub elevators and said it was the best mod since VGs. Cub Crafters brought some of the gap seal to the Super Cub gathering at New Holstein and everyone that tried it loved it. One Cub driver told me he could tazi his airplane around with the tail in the air. Aviat has a strip of aluminum screwed to the orizontal stabilizer with rubber "J" channel where it touches the fuselage, however the stab. doesn't move on a Husky.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. The tape sounds like the way to go. As for the fuselage I'll have to chew on that one for awhile. Maybe theres a STC in my future?

Post Thanks / Like

My Model III KitFox would not 3 point land until I used 3M clear tape between the top of the horizontal stabilizer to the bottom of the leading edge of the elevator closing that gap. It made a very noticable difference.

Post Thanks / Like

So the tape falls under "trim" or the like and can be applied at will?

The Clipper has relatively poor elevator response and a pretty noticeable dead zone which is not control slop. I'd love to try sealing it up but only on a legal basis.

Thanks,
    Grant