Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BIG TIRES on a PA-16 CLIPPER?

Post Thanks / Like

Default BIG TIRES on a PA-16 CLIPPER?

Has anybody gotten a field approval for 26 inch Goodyear tires on a PA-16 Clipper, or similar aircraft?

Post Thanks / Like

I got 25x11x4 tires Field approved on my Vagabond about a month ago. Paperwork should be on this site soon.
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIM View Post
    Has anybody gotten a field approval for 26 inch Goodyear tires on a PA-16 Clipper, or similar aircraft?
    This SHOULD be easy, use the STC for the Pacer and drawings showing they are basically the same air frame for your data. Do the leg work and hand it to your A&P to send to FSDO.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

There is an FAA Advisory Circular AC23-17B that covers Tundra Tires in section 733. It also has flight test info that was performed on a PA-18 and it has recommended approval procedures for approving larger tires. Also there is a Tundra Tire worksheet that the FAA uses for field approvals and I have one somewhere but at present can't find it. If you call Seaplanes North in Anchorage they might help out as they do field approvals for tires on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking of something else, I think that they used to have the Tundra Tire worksheet posted in the members section of the Supercub website, and I am not a member, maybe Steve could post a copy here if he is able to find it. I will keep looking for mine. We probably should post a copy here as I have found that it is getting to be a mysterious hard to find document that the FAA does not seem to want to help with, and there are quite a few people on here that may find it useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Having just gone through this, the Tundra Tire Worksheet has been superseded.
    Most of the Tundra Tire worksheet was included but was not allowed to be referenced since it is a out of date
    publication.
    Hope to have mine available soon.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dave is correct. One thing to consider when installing big tires on a Clipper, the rear tube is only .035" wall thickness. The Pacer is .049" wall. Bent mine on a gravel bar several years ago and replaced the rear tube. Goodyears are good for flotation but are very stiff and don't absorb rough terrain like Bushwheels do. The Bushwheels are STC'd as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Everytime you turn around they go and decide to do things differently.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. The tires look great on the Vagabond! Do you have single or double puck brakes? What kind of wheels do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    They are the original wheels and brakes. I have the original 800x4's and wheel pants and can change back and forth in about an hour. Brakes are original expanded tube, I doubt if they will do much. Haven't flown it yet.
    Dave