Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BIG TIRES on a PA-16 CLIPPER?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BIG TIRES on a PA-16 CLIPPER?

Ask him to show you that in the STC. Never seen anything printed about anti-bounce shocks. There is no definitive answer in the paperwork. I know Bill Duncan personally who got the STCs and that definition is not there. If it were me I would run the larger rear tine and call it good or maybe add the ski tube between the rear tube and the streamline tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I visited ABI in person a year previous during one of my layovers to discuss this. I asked if they were to build me a set of gear legs that could satisfy the STC - how would they be different? No real answer at the time and no-one appeared to know why note 2 was included. One third hand story was that the Clipper that they were using during the evaluation flights had its gear collapse during testing. They didn't have another Clipper to continue the evaluation. It's a war story so could or could not be true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    This is the answer from ABI to the question regarding other approvals of note 2.

"The heavy duty gear requirement means that you will need to have gear with hydrasorbs or similar suspension instead of the old "slip tube" style that is just bungees without any sort of anti-bounce shock. If you want you can install PA-18 gear with a cabane vee and everything but it is not necessarily required."

From Gabe Niesen ABI May 2016.

That unfortunately put an end to my ability to get ABW on my Clipper - I think.
    So that isn't possible on a PA-16. There is no approval to install hydrosorbs on a PA-16, and there is no slip tube system, just bungee chords, kind if like a PA-12. So I guess what they are saying s if you want to use their STC for the ABI 26, 29, or 31 tires, you need to install the Trimmer STC for the PA-18 gear. Funny thing there, the ABI STC is dated 11/2001 and the Trimmer STC is dated 6/2009. Makes no sense that an STC issued in 2001 would require an STC that wasn't issued until 2009. The whole thing about Heavy Duty gear makes no sense as there is no such thing as heavy duty gear on a PA-16! There are only two generally used modifications on the PA-16 gear, the extra tube (Ski Tube) going from mid span of the streamlined tube to mid span of the rear tube of the gear leg, and replacement of the rear tube of the gear leg with a heavier wall tube. Both of these are only Field Approvals and not STCs, and I suppose either could be considered "Heavy Duty" gear legs.
    Last edited by dgapilot; 04-08-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how these compare to the ABI 26 airstreak? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...er06-02501.php

What are the capabilities of the airstreak and the Desser tundra?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    I wonder how these compare to the ABI 26 airstreak? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...er06-02501.php

What are the capabilities of the airstreak and the Desser tundra?
    Not even in the same ball park or league.
    If you are just flying off grass or gravel strips the Desser is fine. If your going to play in soft sand or rocks there is no substitute for ABW.

Post Thanks / Like

"I wonder how these compare to the ABI 26 airstreak?"

I am sure I will stand to be corrected but you are still then faced with a paperwork issue as the Clipper only has 8.00-4 tyres on the TCDS. I think I am learning the hard way.

I would happily have a set though if the paperwork issue could be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with grove 6.00x6 STC, it covers up to 8.50x6 tires. That gets you to the Aero Classic smooth tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bushwheel did not flight test every model, it was a blanket approval.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose like many others, I like to play, but I also like to use an airplane for cross country. My Clipper will have the stock O-235. I have two M76AM-2 props, a 48” pitch climb and a 52” pitch cruise. I currently have the stock 8.00x4 tires and wheels with new old stock tires on them. Haven’t pulled the brakes apart yet to determine the condition of the bladders. Airplane hasn’t been in the air since 1960, so they may be shot, and if so, will likely go Grove wheels and brakes. Does anyone have data for loss of cruise speed with larger tires on a stock Clipper?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My stock Clipper with 48" prop and 800x6 tires cruised 108 mph.