Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BIG TIRES on a PA-16 CLIPPER?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d.grimm View Post
    Tim,
    They are the original wheels and brakes. I have the original 800x4's and wheel pants and can change back and forth in about an hour. Brakes are original expanded tube, I doubt if they will do much. Haven't flown it yet.
    Dave
    Dave sent me scanned copies of his 337 and I think I've shrunk them enough to load here, this is a trial post to see if it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d.grimm View Post
    Tim,
    They are the original wheels and brakes. I have the original 800x4's and wheel pants and can change back and forth in about an hour. Brakes are original expanded tube, I doubt if they will do much. Haven't flown it yet.
    Dave
    Thanks Dave,

That's good. I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade my brakes with the bigger tires to get the field approval. I have single puck clevelands.

Thanks again for the info! If you do get a chance, I would love to see the paperwork!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Sorry, I didn't realize you already posted the paperwork.

THANKS! That should definitely help!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My experience with single puck brakes on my Clipper with 800x6 tires weren't real good. My previous Clipper had double puck Clevelands.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BIG TIRES on a PA-16 CLIPPER?

Hi

I just install the Airstreak 26" on my Clipper. Can't wait to fly it.

IMG_7736.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper9 View Post
    Hi

I just install the Airstreak 26" on my Clipper. Can't wait to fly it.

IMG_7736.jpg
    Thanks for the pics! It looks AWESOME!

What did you do for paperwork?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would like them, than saw note 2, thats a big change to go to Super Cub gear, shock band mounts are different, wonder if you can beef up the Clipper gear to strength?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    I would like them, than saw note 2, thats a big change to go to Super Cub gear, shock band mounts are different, wonder if you can beef up the Clipper gear to strength?
    I was wondering if you could beef up the Clipper gear too!?

Post Thanks / Like

Given that there is no specified Heavy Duty gear for a PA-16 that has an STC, not sure what the note realy means. I've had others ask me to approve some type of Heavy Duty gear mod so they can comply with that note. The Trimmer STC SA02345AK can be used to put PA-18 gear on a PA-16, but a lot of work. Some have said the Trimmer ski tube might satisfy it, but nothing to confirm that, and they are all Field Approvals. Replacing the aft landing gear Vee tube with 1 1/8X.049 tube would be the most likely "Heavy Duty Gear" modification that would comply, but again, there is no current approval for it beyond a "Field Approval".

Has anyone actually asked ABI what is required to comply with Note 2 for a PA-16? Since it is part of their STC, they should have an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the answer from ABI to the question regarding other approvals of note 2.

"The heavy duty gear requirement means that you will need to have gear with hydrasorbs or similar suspension instead of the old "slip tube" style that is just bungees without any sort of anti-bounce shock. If you want you can install PA-18 gear with a cabane vee and everything but it is not necessarily required."

From Gabe Niesen ABI May 2016.

That unfortunately put an end to my ability to get ABW on my Clipper - I think.