Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: beacons and strobes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: beacons and strobes

The old Grimes lights have been out of production for decades. Only place you may find one is eBay or if someone has one hoarded away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I´ve found a light, but just to make sure my attachment is still original, does anyone have a photo of how it should look or a drawing?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the drawing CD, drawing 12188 figure 3 shows the tail light installation. The rudder assembly 40622 shows the stub tube at the top of the rudder that it attaches to. In the Vagabond CD it shows that stub tubing 10384 Tail Light Bracket. Made from 1x.035 tubing, 3/4” long with a .191 cross hole, and a 3/16 radius notch in line with the cross hole to match the rudder tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    Ordering the cds right now, but that is going to take some days/week to arrive

Post Thanks / Like

here is the electric drawing 12188 Electrical.PDF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Seems like I´ve found a light, but just to make sure my attachment is still original, does anyone have a photo of how it should look or a drawing?
    In case you need a Plan B, call these folks:
    http://www.avliteaviation.com/index.html
    http://www.avliteaviation.com/vintage.html

Major supplier of new, new surplus, and overhauled Grimes Lighting fixtures, components and lamps. Contact us at 805-239-4037

Warren Grimes himself developed position lights for Henry Ford's first trimotors. After leaving Ford's employ he set up shop in a small shed and began producing navigation lights for the growing fleet of America's aircraft. Landing and instrument lights soon followed. The C.A.A. began to require these fixtures on all aircraft and the manufacturers had to offer them on their new models.
    Avlite offers a full line of fixtures for vintage aircraft from the Models A, B, and C nav lights to the early styles of retract lights ST250 and ST1220. Cockpit and instrument panel lights are also available.
    Avlite is also pleased to offer a kit to retrofit a modern sealed beam lamp to the early ST250 retract light. The original modular lamps are no longer available. Â
    A full line of replacement parts for all of the above are also in stock. Recent discoveries of large stockpiles of lenses for these nav lights are now available as well.
    Avlite can offer specific knowledge on vintage installations because of a long hands-on involvement in aviation, vintage, classic and modern aircraft.
    Call Tom with your requirements. Part numbers are helpful but our files are full of most of the original drawings showing applications and listing component parts.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

So, looks like I have another type of attachment.
    lf1.jpg
    What are my options here? What I originally wanted to achieve was to lighten the plane by removing the strobe which was in this plastic fairing and replacing it with something lighter like maybe the original light. Looks like the original wont fit. Also looks like fabric has been put over the fairing.
    lf2.jpg
    Last edited by JohnD; 04-06-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    here is the electric drawing 12188 Electrical.PDF
    Well...Damn! They say you learn something everyday, and I did from this drawing. I just have the tube at the top off my vertical stab (no light installed), and I always thought that it was a beacon mount. From the drawing, I see that it is actually the nav light. Guess the nav light on the TE of the rudder is one of those "modern" gadgets! I like the look of that bulbous nav light on the vertical, and may have to find one. Install the LED bulb, and use the rudder mount for the strobe.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    So, looks like I have another type of attachment.
    lf1.jpg
    What are my options here? What I originally wanted to achieve was to lighten the plane by removing the strobe which was in this plastic fairing and replacing it with something lighter like maybe the original light. Looks like the original wont fit. Also looks like fabric has been put over the fairing.
    lf2.jpg
    Get the diameter and compare to some of the new LED beacons available from Whelen and AERO LEDs. https://aeroleds.com/sunbeacon-series-certified/