Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serial Number vs Welded Tag

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Serial Number vs Welded Tag

I merged your thread with another on the subject. You can order the original build records from Clyde Smith and it will give those build numbers along with all the records on what configuration etc the aircraft left the factory in. http://www.cubdoctor.com/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Clyde Smith Jr, he can provide you with a copy of the original Piper build sheet for your airplane. It lists the fuselage frame number, the wing numbers, the engine and other items installed on your serial number airplane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DGA and Steve and others--- thats the 411 on all those numbers.
    Nice to know all those "other" numbers are just housekeeping numbers for the use of the factory floor people.
    --- and that the number that "counts" was knighted with its real SN when it was complete and out the door.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years Piper used about 5 or 6 different Data Plates. As the regulations matured, the required information changed so the fields on the plate changed accordingly. All the data plates prior to sometime in the 1950-1951 time period were aluminum. The regulations changed in late 1949, but not implemented until late 1950 or 1951 requiring a Fireproof data plate. The FAA screwed everything up when they changed things around 1987 in Part 45. We now have a regulation that says the data plate can be moved to the cabin provided there is the model and serial number on the exterior aft of the aft most entry door and visible from the ground. This was done based on a DEA requirement, not an FAA requirement. That's why the model and serial plate on the exterior is often referred to as the "Drug Placard". Unfortunately we now have conflicting regulations. Type Design says the data plate should be in one location and Part 45 says it should be in another. FAA is plain schizophrenic!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I ran into this discussion. What has been said is what I vaguely recalled from Clyde. It popped up a few weeks ago. Took someone for a ride and they noted a welded plate above the window, which didn’t match. It seemed to rattle them a little that the numbers didn’t match, like I had just put them in some junk yard assembly of parts and committed fraud on the FAA. Anyhow thanks for refreshing my recollection.