Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headliner before covering

Post Thanks / Like

I did before as Steve said above. Front and back and roll up the sides over the doors and windows till later. Also if you are doing wool as I recommend, timing of the glue is critical. After you spread the contact cement WAIT!!!!!! for it to tack up before placing the fabric against it. Otherwise it will soak thru the wool and make a ugly spot. Practice with some scrap first. Once you get the hang of it no big deal. Also when I put mine in I had the fuselage upside down and let gravity help me rather than fight it.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics brian! Good points frank.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Headliner before covering

Ok, hoping this old thread is the right place for some questions on interior work I'm planning. I'm preparing to install a new wool headliner. I have a couple minor issues to resolve first. My new 406 ELT is bolted to the bottom of the hat shelf. I'd like to remove my hat shelf and back seat occasionally so I'm thinking moving the ELT to the left side fuse tubing immediately adjacent to the current location using some Adele loops with #10 bolts to create studs that penetrate the ceconite inward, (no baggage comp ceconite panels exist now) for lock nuts to attach the ELT mounting plate. Comments? Next, I have no interior fabric panels in the baggage compartment, and think I should install those ceconite panels prior to the headliner. Please confirm. Any tips on installing those pieces in the baggage area? I'm thinking the back panel first then the two sides. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Ok, hoping this old thread is the right place for some questions on interior work I'm planning. I'm preparing to install a new wool headliner. I have a couple minor issues to resolve first. My new 406 ELT is bolted to the bottom of the hat shelf. I'd like to remove my hat shelf and back seat occasionally so I'm thinking moving the ELT to the left side fuse tubing immediately adjacent to the current location using some Adele loops with #10 bolts to create studs that penetrate the ceconite inward, (no baggage comp ceconite panels exist now) for lock nuts to attach the ELT mounting plate. Comments? Next, I have no interior fabric panels in the baggage compartment, and think I should install those ceconite panels prior to the headliner. Please confirm. Any tips on installing those pieces in the baggage area? I'm thinking the back panel first then the two sides. Thanks for the help.
    So in your baggage compartment you are seeing the backside of the exterior fabric? Covering the interior baggage area would be a challenge on a covered airplane. I will have to look at Cathy's Tri-Pacer to get some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    So in your baggage compartment you are seeing the backside of the exterior fabric? Covering the interior baggage area would be a challenge on a covered airplane. I will have to look at Cathy's Tri-Pacer to get some ideas.
    Yes. How much wrap and glue area do I need around a tube to ensure the glue gets a good grip to the ceconite? For the rear panel, the horizontal wood side stringers have a standoff from the rear-wall left and right side edges. It may be a bit challenging to get the glue applied to the backside of the tubes while standing in the bottom panel hole, but I think it's doable. I'm fairly thin. Then wrap a second layer on the same tubes as rear-most vertical holding the side panels. I imagine cutting good templates for ceconite panel patterns is essential. Any thoughts on process appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What system are you going to use? I woul buy the manual for that system. Most want a 1" glue joint for structure but being interior that will not apply, 1/2" is probably advisable and let the glue dry over night before shrinking. Gonna take some forward thinking to get this to work out right.

Post Thanks / Like

If using Ceconite fabric and Superseam cement the book recommends coating the tubing with Superseam first and let it dry.
    Then glue on your fabric. As Steve says 1" minimum wrap/overlap for structure but this criteria won't necessarily apply for internal fabric.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

I spent some time with my head inside the baggage comp. yesterday, floor removed, and I think the fabric can be wrapped pretty well on the vertical tubes that slant back on the back wall. The back wall upper and lower (floor) horizontal tubes are likewise well exposed to allow wrapping part way. The problem is the lower horizontal tubes on the left wall, I can only get about a half inch of purchase. Can't figure out how to get my rear seat out...And, I've got to figure out where to move my new 406 ELT as it's on the bottom of the hat shelf now. Where do you guys have your ELT's mounted. I now have wires running up the left side of the fuse above the passenger door all the way to a panel mount remote switch so to verify functionality of the ELT. I'm considering moving the ELT further back, maybe to the baggage comp. rear wall tube structure. It would be readily accessible if mounted high, but relatively out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The seat is laced in the back and the bottom bar clicks in. I mounted the last ELT to the tubing in the tail aft of the hell hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Our elt w/ antenna is mounted on a plate attached to the tubing directly behind the baggage compartment but forward of the hell hole. The back wall of our baggage is a hard board with insulation on the back. It has a fabric hinge across the top and is screwed down along the sides and across the bottom. At annual we pop those screws and it makes easy access (as the whole back wall lifts up) to the elt as well as the pulleys in the area.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb