Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Headliner before covering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Headliner before covering

That is a great idea, trying to get at the flap and aileron pulleys from the rear "hell hole" is tough for us 6' + guys (not to mention over 200#).
    That's why I had Brian add an access hole in the back of my baggage compartment panel.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of our ELT mounted behind the baggage compartment. That's the strobe power supply next to it. We've since upgraded the ELT but that's why it's orange in an old pic and yellow in the new. You can see the baggage compartment back panel in the first pic and you can see how well you can access when it's pulled up out of the way in the second.

Baggage.jpgPA190244.jpg
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Makes me want to rethink putting in fabric walls. Perhaps I should just fabric the sides, and do a trap door trick like yours for the back wall. I noticed your cable shield in the pic has been sawed through like mine has. I guess that's normal? I was thinking mine was misaligned in its mounting. Maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think by having fabric back there you would have to be far more careful in what you put in the baggage compartment. Not that we would drop in an engine block and let it rattle around but sharp edges on baggage could poke holes.

Even thought about putting in recessed D-Ring loops into the floor for a tie-down point but not a specific need at this point.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I noticed your cable shield in the pic has been sawed through like mine has. I guess that's normal? I was thinking mine was misaligned in its mounting. Maybe not.
    This is not uncommon, we have seven Shortwings in our group and most of them show this fancy Piper feature, or evidence it was corrected. You should fix it before it causes damage to the cables
    Remove the several PK screws that hold the cable shield/guard/channel to the floorboard, and spread the aft 1/3 of the channel about 1/2" wider.
    Clean up the frayed aluminum on the shield and add a thin metal doubler over the damaged area, and repaint it to conceal your repairs.
    Inspect the cable over full range of travel to confirm it's not damaged.
    Reinstall the shield making a new aft screw hole in the floorboard about 3/4" inboard of original hole so the cable shield is centered over the cable.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I mounted the last ELT to the tubing in the tail aft of the hell hole.
    On my Tri-Pacer the ELT is mounted to a ~8" x ~12 plate on the lower tubes a bit forward of the hell hole.
    I can sit on a wooden barstool with my head/shoulders inside and there is adequate headroom, so it's not super uncomfortable when removing ELT during annual and battery service.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for both tips Glen. You may not remember, but I have some of your old drum brake parts in my TP and they are working fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I am putting the headliner in my new project now. (it only took six months to get it from spruce) Does anyone have a favorite contact cement that they use? Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland we can't get the good kind that have too many VOC's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrHook3960 View Post
    I am putting the headliner in my new project now. (it only took six months to get it from spruce) Does anyone have a favorite contact cement that they use? Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland we can't get the good kind that have too many VOC's
    I bought my headliner from Airtex and used the glue that they recommend and sell:
    DURASEAM TRIM CEMENT
    A permanent quick drying cement formulated for aircraft interior vinyl or fabric that will not stain through.
    Brush-in-lid pint can $17.00

It was easy to use and worked very well. As advertised, it did not stain through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just be careful with how much glue you use so that it doesn't bleed through the headliner and look bad.