Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Headliner before covering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Headliner before covering

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    I forgot to mention that you do the Interior fabric through paint "before" installing the headliner......I glue the headliner to the outside of the baggage fabric. About 3 inches of material glued to the fabric makes a nice strong bond.

Here are a few pictures I took of the last Tri-Pacer we did......
    The first one really shows how much material I glued down to the outside of the baggage compartment.....did not paint the interior of the baggage because the owner glued some vinyl interior panels to it. Also there is no skylight in this one.....

After cover and paint, headliner still rolled back.

Shoulder harness grommets...(made from some Kydex)
    Brian/Steve, I'm doing my interior fabric - yes my plane has had a naked interior (no fabric or headliner) since it was recovered in Ceconite in the early 90's by the previous owner. I found this old thread - any chance or resurrecting the pictures that were posted here?

I'm doing the interior fabric now for the baggage comp. image1.jpegI was able to get the fabric wrapped around the angled fuse tubes above the hat shelf and also tucked in the bottom and held with New Super Seam Seal glue. Doing the right side of the passenger compartment now. Wondering about the interface between the fabric lower and the headliner around the right rear window...Does the fabric or headliner tuck into the window channel? So, I have to take out the window? Or does it flat glue to the window frame? Where is the actual horizontal seam or line between the Ceconite and the headliner behind the window? Any pics appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Headliner before covering

Considering the time I posted that I do not even remember who’s airplane it was... I’m sure it was a headliner installation that I did before glueing on the exterior fabric, which won’t help you in your current situation... I did do one recently on a Pacer that was already covered by a different mechanic though...

It is best to wrap the headliner into the window channel, it needs a good strong bond so when you use a steamer on the wool to shrink the headliner it won’t pull out and cause a bad wrinkle..

Bad picture... this aircraft has AirTex side panels... but this is the section behind the rear window, there is a piece of channel there that the headliner is normally retained by a strip of aluminum and #4 screws...here the screws are retaining the side panel instead..

The headliner is glued onto the top of the hat rack angles and the hat rack is put on top... I trimmed the sides of the rack so it goes on easier... this takes a lot of time to get right so that the material does not “bridge” the angle...

The rear is glued around the bottom of the channel...

View of it from the top... I will be installing the hat rack with #10 screwed with Nuts on the bottom...

The rear close out is the original .016 panel covered with scrap material and the door opening is treated like normal..

Whenever I install one of my skylight mods I always trim out the rear opening area with .016 panels and cover them with excess material...

Hope these help

Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 03-28-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will have to look in a few days. Got one in from Houston last night for inspection that I hope to kick out tonight or first thing tomorrow. Will look when I get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Considering the time I posted that I do not even remember who’s airplane it was... I’m sure it was a headliner installation that I did before glueing on the exterior fabric, which won’t help you in your current situation... I did do one recently on a Pacer that was already covered by a different mechanic though...

It is best to wrap the headliner into the window channel, it needs a good strong bond so when you use a steamer on the wool to shrink the headliner it won’t pull out and cause a bad wrinkle..

Bad picture... this aircraft has AirTex side panels... but this is the section behind the rear window, there is a piece of channel there that the headliner is normally retained by a strip of aluminum and #4 screws...here the screws are retaining the side panel instead..

The headliner is glued onto the top of the hat rack angles and the hat rack is put on top... I trimmed the sides of the rack so it goes on easier... this takes a lot of time to get right so that the material does not “bridge” the angle...

The rear is glued around the bottom of the channel...

View of it from the top... I will be installing the hat rack with #10 screwed with Nuts on the bottom...

The rear close out is the original .016 panel covered with scrap material and the door opening is treated like normal..

Whenever I install one of my skylight mods I always trim out the rear opening area with .016 panels and cover them with excess material...

Hope these help

Brian.

Thank you so much Brian. Very helpful!

I'm putting fabric on the right rear passenger wall now. I'm told the headliner glues to the fabric behind the window. I see small #4 screw holes in my channel there. I'm wondering about the stack-up order with the aluminum strip and #4 screws. Fabric bottom, then glue headliner, then screw on aluminum strip? What are the dimensions of the aluminum strip? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the thickness of the right rear window in a '56 Tri-Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Does anyone know the thickness of the right rear window in a '56 Tri-Pacer?
    All of the side glass is supposed to be .080

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Thank you so much Brian. Very helpful!

I'm putting fabric on the right rear passenger wall now. I'm told the headliner glues to the fabric behind the window. I see small #4 screw holes in my channel there. I'm wondering about the stack-up order with the aluminum strip and #4 screws. Fabric bottom, then glue headliner, then screw on aluminum strip? What are the dimensions of the aluminum strip? Thanks again.
    Your stack up would be right... 3/8 strip is what Piper did.. I would make and mount the strip, Mark the bottom edge of the strip with tape for where the headliner would end up at.... when installing the headliner fold it over against itself to that edge... glue it to the tape strip edge and then screw on the trim strip... remove the tape..

Brian