Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: trimmer fuel valve

Post Thanks / Like

Default trimmer fuel valve

has anyone installed the trimmer stc on a covered a/c i would like to keep it a flying project instead of tearing it completly down

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the STC for my tripacer. I have not begun the install yet and I will be doing it on a bare frame. I have reviewed the instructions but that is all I have done so far. I just felt inclined to comment. The fuel valve requires some rerouting of fuel lines. The most difficult will be the ones on each side. The passenger side is routed to skip the gascolator under the right seat and it passes under the seat rather than behind the instrument panel. You would have to remove some of the interior fabric to get to those lines. The same holds true for the pilot's side. You will have to open up that fabric as well to get everything done. There is a new location for the fuel drains which are under the pilot's side just inside of the gear leg. The entire job can be done but if you think you can avoid all fabric work when doing this, you cannot.

All of that is from memory so exact locations may be off. In general it should give you a good idea of what you will be facing. I see that you are from Ohio. You are welcome to come down and take a look at my frame and the STC to get an idea of what you will be facing if you want.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have done it on a bare fuselage. I think it can be done on a covered fuselage but would require the interior fabric or panels be removed. It would be a pain. You can install the Dakota Cub or Univair fuel valve without modifying the fuel lines. The Dakota Cub valve has a Both position.

Post Thanks / Like

I've installed the Trimmer Fuel mod on a covered plane. Interior fabric work on the right and left side will need to be done. On the right side have to run a fuel lines forward of the door, which joins the aft fuel line under the right seat. I cut a couple of holes in the fabric and fished the fuel line down then patched it. If you have interior panels instead of fabric it should be easier. The left side has the same set-up which I think I was able to use some of the original fuel line. You will have to open the fabric where you install the new fuel valve on the left side. It is a pain, but it's a good improvement.....no more switching tanks for T.O. and landing. I recently saw a good T.Pacer bit the dust because the pilot forgot to switch tanks on T.O.....

The whole project should be able to be completed in a couple of days. With some of the work staged to keep it flying.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuel valve

hey stephen i will get with you on the fuel systm and i sent you a money order today thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim, we can chat in a couple of weeks. Off tomorrow!!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

What is the advantage of the Trimmer system over just replacing the valve with a Dakota Cub valve. If you can put it on "both" then you would no longer need to worry about the right tank being under 1/3 full. Am I missing something? Trimmer rerouted the lines to accomodate the seaplane door.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at my Univair valve. It sure would be simple to modify to a "Both" selection. Has anyone done this type of mod? The problem with the routing of the right tank rear fitting would still concern me with a potential loss of fuel in the system. I have the Aux tank installed.

Tim
    Last edited by MN_flyer1; 07-05-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You would have to cut the groove in the center plug to keep fuel from going around and out. It is a specialcut in a round part to hold an o'ring.

The Dakota valve would use the same routing and doesn't flow the same out of each tank at all times but does end up feeding even on the low end. Trimmer re-routes the lines under the seat and they flow more eveny. Most L-R-Both systems use a vent between both fuel tanks to help them feed the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Does a valve such as the Dakota one eliminate the 1/3 placard on the panel?