Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: trimmer fuel valve

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the trimmer fuel mod on a bare fuselage. I would not want to do it with fabric on, but it could be done as previously stated. My plane still feeds more out of the left tank when on both. But all in all, I would do it again. I my memory serves me correctly you can just change the fuel valve under his STC. But I'm not sure.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: trimmer fuel valve

[QUOTE=Steve Pierce

As far as the Dakota valve STC, the installing IA determines compatability of the STCs.

/QUOTE]

I am trying to convince my IA of the merits of installing the Dakota valve on a Trimmer fuel system on a Clipper without going down the 337 route.

Could you you guide me to a reference for the above that I could present him with please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FAA/PMA and STC'd part that replaces the same part number in the PA18, 20 and 22 via an STC. AC 23-27.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...cSxwJq6tD7a_Jz

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dhillier;114655]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce

As far as the Dakota valve STC, the installing IA determines compatability of the STCs.

/QUOTE

I am trying to convince my IA of the merits of installing the Dakota valve on a Trimmer fuel system on a Clipper without going down the 337 route.

Could you you guide me to a reference for the above that I could present him with please?
    Why don’t you want him to do a 337? If it is an STC part, by definition it’s a major alteration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As always - thanks Steve.

I don’t want to go down the 337 route as the Jamaica New York FSDO is blanket not processing 337s for N reg aircraft based outside of the USA. Like me. I am trying to find a route around this.
    I have heard that FAA Oaklahoma may accept a 337 directly or that any agreeable FSDO may also file for the 337. However I haven’t heard of a friendly or understanding FSDO as yet.
    Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    As always - thanks Steve.

I don’t want to go down the 337 route as the Jamaica New York FSDO is blanket not processing 337s for N reg aircraft based outside of the USA. Like me. I am trying to find a route around this.
    I have heard that FAA Oaklahoma may accept a 337 directly or that any agreeable FSDO may also file for the 337. However I haven’t heard of a friendly or understanding FSDO as yet.
    Regards
    All 337s are sent directly to AFS750 in Oklahoma City when complete. No need to go to the FSDO unless for a field approval, and many FSDOs won’t do them anymore. Next bet is a DAR with field approval authority, or a DER that can approve data for major alterations.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be happy with the maule valve, the newer valves are nice but the maule valve will give you years a trouble free service. Its a good valve.
    Last edited by SMO22; 02-05-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default trimmer fuel valve

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I think you will be happy with the maule valve, the newer valves are nice but the maule valve will give you years a trouble free service. Its a good valve.

The stock piper weatherhead valve is super easy to convert to a Maule valve...drill one hole..deburr and reassemble without the small part that limits rotation. The white inner valve part is the Maule...the brown one is the original piper part.

Omit this part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mmoyle; 02-05-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE

All 337s are sent directly to AFS750 in Oklahoma City when complete. No need to go to the FSDO unless for a field approval, and many FSDOs won’t do them anymore. Next bet is a DAR with field approval authority, or a DER that can approve data for major alterations.
    [/QUOTE]

My mistake - inaccurate verbage. I meant that I understand Oaklahoma or an agreeable FSDO will process the 337 for a field approval. Regular repair 337 processing is not an issue. I have spoken to a DER based in the UK but he was talking in the region of $5k+ to work on a field approval based on follow on data from a previous approval eg. The Trimmer gear re-enforcing mod.

Sure the Maule valve is great but the satin finish and red handle of the Dakota valve meant one appeared in the post.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE

My mistake - inaccurate verbage. I meant that I understand Oaklahoma or an agreeable FSDO will process the 337 for a field approval. Regular repair 337 processing is not an issue. I have spoken to a DER based in the UK but he was talking in the region of $5k+ to work on a field approval based on follow on data from a previous approval eg. The Trimmer gear re-enforcing mod.

Sure the Maule valve is great but the satin finish and red handle of the Dakota valve meant one appeared in the post.[/QUOTE]

Boy if he is charging $5k, I’m really undercharging! I think the most I’ve charged for a DER approval is about $500.