Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elevator trim cable double wrap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elevator trim cable double wrap

Does anyone have any 337's showing a field approval for double wrapped cable?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Attached are the 337's for converting my Clipper to a double groove pulley trim system. One fo the best mod's I made to my Clipper. It sure solved the trim pulley slipping problem.

Dbl groove pulley 2.jpgDbl groove pulley 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Man I love this forum

Thanks for posting the info. It saves me a lot of work, getting this approved on another clipper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ericvaughn View Post
    Thanks for posting the info. It saves me a lot of work, getting this approved on another clipper.
    When you get yours approved, would you please post it here. My FSDO does not approve anything. One more might break the log jam.

Post Thanks / Like

The inspector from my FSDO, in LIT agreed we could do the approval as a follow on to another airplane's 337. We'll see how he stands by his word on this. When I get the approval done, I'll post it here. Might be a little while, the airplane isn't in town yet. We are finishing a restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ericvaughn View Post
    The inspector from my FSDO, in LIT agreed we could do the approval as a follow on to another airplane's 337. We'll see how he stands by his word on this. When I get the approval done, I'll post it here. Might be a little while, the airplane isn't in town yet. We are finishing a restoration.
    I did this on the gear modifications of Highroad's Pacer....
    On the top of the 337 I stated the following.....
    - Follow on data in reference per PA-22-150 N38XXX 337 dated 5-10-10

From here on I copied the original 337 that I had on hand for the aircraft listed above...

The second to last line I made this statement.
    - Order 8900.1, Vol 4, Chapter 9, 4-118 C (6) - follow-on field approval.

My last line was my revised Weight and Balance statement.

This order can be found here....http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?...25734F0076663A

It was easier than I thought it would be....

Brian.

PS... Don't let your FSDO tell you it can not be done.... It is listed in the Order's and therefore they have to follow the rules as much as we do..

PPS... Make sure you check mark additional sheets attached and include a copy of the 337 you are using for the follow on approval.
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 08-26-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Order 8900.1 Volume 4, Chapter 9, 4-1178 GENERAL.

C. Definitions.

6) Follow-On Field Approval. Approval of equipment of the same make and model on an aircraft using data from the initial field approval. The make and model of the aircraft may be different for generic applications such as avionics installations, if the installation is similar.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?...25734F0076663A

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Elevator trim cable double wrap

A few weeks ago, I noted that my pitch trim felt "a little scratchy" as during approach and landing. Well, today I finally got out to the airport and began to tinker with the trim. as i ran the trim, it bound up. Opened the headliner and found the cable in a condition as shown in photo #1. Obviously, I will be replacing the cable. I have a few questions.
    The SWPC rigging CD states that 150 PA-20's have a single drum pulley, and 1951 and subsequent have a 2 drum pulley. I have a 1950 PA-20, but if I am seeing correctly, it sure looks like I do have the 2 drum pulley (see photos 2&3) The Univair catalog only show one cable for PA-20's & PA-22's...U41671-16 (1 the difference in the numbers being galvanized steel or stainless steel cable. Am correct that the P/N for the cable is the same irrespective of which drum one has?
    I noted in Gilbert's post above, his 337 references using a -16 cable (galvanized). Is there any reason why one is preferable to the other? Surprisingly, the galvanized cable is $10 cheaper than the SS cable.
    Lastly, is Univair the only (or best) place to get this cable?
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pa20; 11-27-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mark, I get mine from Tony Cesare, Millinocket Me. 207-723-9491. He does really nice work and is a small airplane guy. I would use galvanized unless you are going to be on floats and need the extra corrosion protection. Stainless is a bit more brittle and wears worse in the tight corners. Evidently someone converted your Pacer to double groove or maybe your serial number falls in the ones done at the factory. Use the old cable to pull the new cable forward and through the headliner. It is a real challenge to change on a covered airplane but very doable. These pictures might help as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple more pics that I had.
    Attached Images Attached Images