Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie who needs a little help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie who needs a little help

Iím a long time lurker, first time poster. Iíve spent several months trying to soak in everything I can from this site, and now Iím hoping someone nearby can help me out with a contact.

My girlfriend and I recently picked up a '58 PA22-160 thatís a little rough around the edges but a real jewelóin my totally unbiased opinion. (Sidenote: evidently it went around the world at some point in its past, as evidenced by the list of locations painted on the side of the plane, so if anyone has any information they can share about N8715D's past, I would love to hear from you.) It had been sitting for a few years, but after my Dad got his hands on it and did an annual it has absolutely purred for the 15 or 20 hours of time we've put on it. I want to finish my license and the GF wants to get hers, and this seemed like the perfect way to work up to it and build some time. Now that I have it Iím not sure Iíll be able to let go of it, but thatís an issue for another day. There are of course the little squawks here and there (the transponder went out a mere 6 daysóand only 30 minutes of flight timeóafter I had it recertified, so there's a big hole in the panel at the moment), and Iím trying to work through them one at a time.

8715D Sedona.jpg

My primary problem at the moment is that I recently brought it home to California and the insurance wants my instructor out here to get a checkout. Does anyone know of a CFI in the greater Sacramento area with five hours of tripacer time that would be willing to come out to Woodland to check someone out in the plane? I had a couple of weeks of flying scheduled, the GF has a month of free time to fly, and now weíre looking at a significant amount of wasted time while we try to track someone down. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to participating a little more actively online, and hopefully meeting a few of you in person one of these days,

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like an interesting history. Be anxious to hear more about it. As far as an instructor with time in a Tri-Pacer the only help I can provide is the fact that I ran into the same thing with the Clipper years ago and was able to convince them to accept a very accomplished tail wheelpilot since it was hard to find anyone with clipper time in my area. Hopefully someone on here can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

like the photo!
    I'm also interested in hearing more about the history on your plane, Hopefully someone on here knows more.

Post Thanks / Like

Send me a PM, I'm in Lincoln. (I sent you one as well!)

Kurt
    Last edited by Kurts; 08-29-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurts View Post
    Send me a PM, I'm in Lincoln. (I sent you one as well!)

Kurt
    Jon,
    I am sure that Kurt can help you out. If schedules become an issue, send me a PM as there is an instructor here at Jackson Westover that used to own a Colt. He has a Glastar now, and he would likely be able to come to you.
    Hey Kurt! No crew meals or coffee on this job. But I guess the good news is you don't have to dump the lav!!
    Looking forward to seeing your plane up here in the foothills, Jon.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2020 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mark,

I don't dump my own lav. Ok, well I had to once, into a large garbage can not a lav cart, but I try to block that out. Flying the Colt to Seattle on Wednesday for a few day visit with family and friends. Should be perfect weather for it!

Kurt
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Have a good time, Kurt. What airport are you flying in to? We have friends on Vashon Island, which has a neat little airport.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2020 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark. We'll be visiting friends in Vancouver, WA, stopping at Harvey Field in Snohomish to visit other friends, then up to Anacortes where my mom lives. Will also make visits to Lopez Island and Port Angeles (where I'm from) while we're at it. Up on Wednesday, back on Sunday. I was hoping to do a longer, solo trip this year but that didn't happen. Next year!
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Figured Iíd post a few pictures while Iím at it.

Flight out from Valle (40G) to Watts Woodland (O41).

DSC_6287edited.jpg

DSC_6285.jpg

DSC_6296.jpg

DSC_6304.jpg

DSC_6306edited.jpg

DSC_6309.jpg

DSC_6313edited.jpg

DSC_6323edited.jpg

Yosemite.jpg

Nothing compared to Alaska pictures, but a quick glance now and then is a great reminder and helps to keep me motivated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are so many amazing places to see from the air in this country. It never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for posting those amazing pictures.