Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for seals, parts, or rebuild kit for Master Cyclinder?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Master Cylinder Used on Cleveland Brake Conversion for Piper Clipper

The Electrol cylinders are very easy to dismantle and service. O rings are easily obtainable from AC Spruce. One O ring can only be replaced by tapping out a small pin on the shaft which is quite hard to find (use a magnifying glass), but does come out easily. I have just done the service on my cylinders and found some internal corrosion in the cylinders. Decided to leave as is and look at getting them sleeved this winter.
    Tony N

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Master Cylinder Used on Cleveland Brake Conversion for Piper Clipper

I spoke to Robby Grove of Grove Aircraft http://groveaircraft.com/mastercylinders.html about these cylinders. He can make a cylinder to fit the brackets on the Clipper and original Pacers and it can be installed as an owner produced part and/or using AC23-27. http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentID/99587

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for seals, parts, or rebuild kit for Vagabond Master Cyclinder?

Anyone find a replacement for the Electro master cylinder (main) spring. It is the spring in the bottom of the cylinder. We have found some similar at a hardware store ,but when we depress them ,they don't spring back all the way. Any help appreciated. Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper used these same cylinders in the 105 Special Super Cubs they built for the military with toe brakes. Roby Grove has one of these airplanes and made up cylinders for it. He made up several sets of cylinders and has them for sale if anyone needs them.
    http://groveaircraft.com/mastercylinders.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for seals, parts, or rebuild kit for Vagabond Master Cyclinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Huntley View Post
    Anyone find a replacement for the Electro master cylinder (main) spring. It is the spring in the bottom of the cylinder. We have found some similar at a hardware store ,but when we depress them ,they don't spring back all the way. Any help appreciated. Larry
    I think a few of us have had this problem. I did the Grove Disc STC because of brake problems, which were the result of a broken spring anyway. We replaced the spring with what we thought was a good spring that we were given, which turned out to have the exact problem you have described and my left brake is dragging again.

I have requested a quote from a reputable Canadian custom spring manufacturer using these specs: ID: 0.334", OD: 0.433", 2.56" long, Rate: 16lbs/inch compression coil spring. I'll keep everyone posted.

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to cost me about $200 for 10 springs after shipping, and 10 is the minimum order. So it will be $20 per spring plus the shipping to get them to any interested member. If there is enough demand, we may be able to get them cheaper with a larger order. Please let me know ASAP if you want any, otherwise I will just order the minimum 10. I have the spec sheet too if anyone wishes to see it, just PM me your email address.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think for that or a little more Roby Grove can sell you brand new cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like

For $20 per side? Through PM's I know there are several others looking for these springs, so I am not aiming to keep all 10, perhaps 4. I'd rather keep it as original as possible, and when I looked into Grove cylinders they were a lot more than $200. But I will look again! Thanks Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure which model I would need, but looks like $199 - $219 per side. Given their application, I would want them to match! My Electrol are fine though, in good shape, one bad spring aside.
    Last edited by LightFlight; 05-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightflight,

I eventually need to do something with my Electrol cylinders (some internal corrosion/pitting but still working!) and looked at the Grove cylinders. Not sure how well they would work with my original BF Goodrich expander tube brakes as the Grove cylinders have different bore and stroke. Anyway, put me down for two springs.
    Tony N