Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Selector Problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Selector Problem?

I flew a few gallons out of the header tank the other day so that when I had the time I could fix the minor leak in the top of the header tank seam. I put the Clipper to bed like normal with the fuel selector in the "off" position. When I came back out a few days later a fair amount of fuel had leaked out of the crack in the header tank as well as from the cap on the header tank giving the impression that fuel had siphoned from the still full wing tank and over flowed the header tank. If I understand the system right the only way this could happen is if the three way valve on the fuel selector is leaking or not working properly.

I'm curious if anybody has any input or a solution for me or if any of you have experienced the same. As always, thanks for the input.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The original fuel valve is a brass cone running in a brass bore. They galled and create grooves that allow fuel to leak between the ports. You can disassemble and try lapping them together with fine valve grinding compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that as complicating as it sounds vs. the cost of replacing it? Have you done this? I'll check the drawings as well. Thanks Steve.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Replacing it with new will eliminate future problems as well. The original valve requires continual maintenance to keep working correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

replace that old style valve with dakota cub valve and your flying will be simplyfied, much simpler to operate, does away with the repetitive AD and no plunbing has to be changed, hooks right up. ask steve about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definately interested in replacing the valve depending on price right now. I searched Dakota Cubs website and couldn't find it. Also read one of our previous threads on the topic and it sounds like Univair has a replacement that relieves the AD as well. Does anybody have a link/price for the Dakota model. Haven't looked for the Univair one yet. Thanks!

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I need a selector valve too, is the 'usable fuel' quantity on the plate correct? Keep in mind I haven't yet flown my PA20 but I thought the tanks were 18 gallons each?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine's 18gal-16gal usable and I'm pretty sure that's stock. I would guess that plate is out of another airplane.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like another group purchase is in order.