Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual brake conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toe Brakes - how difficult to add this mod?

How difficult is it to add toe brakes to both sides of a Pacer? How about a converted PA 22/20?

thanks

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dual brake conversion

Bob, I merged your thread with another on the subject. Read the 2 pages of posts ahead of yours and then maybe someone who has converted their single brakes to dual will chime in an let us know how difficult it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually - if you have the LPC Univair STC - it allows the purchase of the basic kit without brakes - then based on the drawings you can install single or dual brakes under the STC(no futher field approval needed) - you probably then have the cross member piece for the right hand brake cylinders - HOWEVER- time you obtain approved parts - for the difference- it would be so so much easier to just slide in the Williams Brakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Pedals.jpegZoom-in Pilot Side Pedals.jpg

Hello all. New PA-20 owner.

Here is a picture of the Pilot Brake Pedals.

I've read a lot of threads about installing brakes on the co-pilot side.

Based on this picture, can someone please point me in the direction to what parts, etc, I would need to purchase or is possible, fabricate, to create the same set-up on the right?

Is it possible to find (or get detailed instructions) on how to use the right side brake pedals and install on the right and add what looks like two master cylinders to the right?

I am not a mechanic and therefore asking for a bit of forgiveness for my ignorance concerning this installation or fabrication.

The previous owner is very good and has built and repaired many aircraft. He has offered to help with this installation and I'm trying to get as much information for him and myself before moving forward.

The UNIVAIR kit, if I looked at it, is around $8K and from what I understand, a bit complex. The Williams STC is no good for a 6'2" tall guy like me.

Any help, pointing in the right direction, drawings or pictures of a duplicate install/ fabrication on the right side would be awesome!

I appreciate any help and look forward to the responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You would have to duplicate what is installed on the pilot's side for the co-pilot side. Use slave cylinders instead of master cylinders. Slave cylinders do not have a reservoir like a master cylinder does and is plumbed like the drawing on page 5 of this document. https://www.groveaircraft.com/braketheory.pdf

I have to ask why? It will require a lot of work, a field approval, add weight and complexity. My first airplane as a student pilot was a PA16 with the same brakes you have. My instructor got comfortable in it and started lessons with me in the right seat and then transitioned me to the left seat. No brakes except to stop at the hangar.

This seems to be a recurring question/quest and I understand some instructors are not comfortable without brakes but it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

My illness is that I always want to do it the way it was in 1950. If I had to do it again it would cut the tops of the rudder bars, make 4 new "T"s that fit the aluminum pedals from wag aero. I would bolt the new "T"s onto the existing cut down rudder bars.
    I would then make a rail with 4 attachment points for the new grove cylinders. You could positon the rail before securing...until you get a geometry that works for you. The output to each brake would go through a manifold/parking valve from the slave cylinders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    My illness is that I always want to do it the way it was in 1950. If I had to do it again it would cut the tops of the rudder bars, make 4 new "T"s that fit the aluminum pedals from wag aero. I would bolt the new "T"s onto the existing cut down rudder bars.
    I would then make a rail with 4 attachment points for the new grove cylinders. You could positon the rail before securing...until you get a geometry that works for you. The output to each brake would go through a manifold/parking valve from the slave cylinders.
    Do you think you would get the same legroom with the cast aluminum pedals as you do the originals. I like the feel and how the original rudder and brake pedal work in flight better than any cast pedal Short Wing I have flown.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be easy to get a field approval to replicate the Pacer dual brake installation substituting Grove cylinders ( I have exactly that fr my PA-16). To change pedals and geometry you are likely going down the STC hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe.... overly simplistic? I was offsetting the hinge point 90 degrees to the center line of the tube to increase leg room.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 02-03-2023 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have to ask why? It will require a lot of work, a field approval, add weight and complexity. My first airplane as a student pilot was a PA16 with the same brakes you have. My instructor got comfortable in it and started lessons with me in the right seat and then transitioned me to the left seat. No brakes except to stop at the hangar.

This seems to be a recurring question/quest and I understand some instructors are not comfortable without brakes but it can be done.
    Steve, I also learned to fly my PA-16 (first airplane I bought the day after my private in 2016) and my instructor did the exact same with me.

Instructors willing to fly and teach in a tailwheel, combined with a short coupled tailwheel, are far few and between. No brakes on right side and it becomes even more difficult for anyone willing to take on the task of training someone. Plus, it will make the plane more appealing in the way future if I sell.

*** On another note, do you know anyone who has a pacer / tri-pacer dual brake assembly for sale or being parted out of an old non flying pacer?