Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: experimental/LSA vagabond... Cabin air needed??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: experimental/LSA vagabond... Cabin air needed??

No, it was not him.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Ed,
    No problem at all. You know, its just a surprise to see a picture and think, hey, thats just like me, but wait, it is mine. I have literally hundreds of pictures of every detail of the rebuild. I have gotten so I like to keep a very good record in case some day I try to remember what I did in some certain place. Old codgers and memories, you know.
    I built the door yesterday. At least the frame and hinge are on and it fits. My old door did not fit too well so I modified it till I the fit much better. did I send you pics of the skylight? I think that turned out well with the smoke grey lexan. I would sure like to find some of those 25x11x4 tires in decent shape. But everyone I have seen have dryrot cracks on the sidewalls. Kind of afraid of 20 year old tires.
    Jim
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I really do need to get over to see your Vag again. You told me about the skylight but I haven't seen the photos yet. I'm more interested in the door. Mine doesn't fit well at all, which lets lots of cold air in or hot air out. I'm not sure which, but it's probably cold air in as not much hot air is coming in from the heat vent.
    As for the tires, the Vagabond is so light the small tires don't seem to be a problem sinking in on soft sod. However, if it's big rocks you're planning on assaulting, the bigger tires might be the way to go. Then you might want a bigger tailwheel too.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I am not planning on taking it any place with big rocks, but I just like the look and with my RV-6 having such small tires, it bugs me sometimes that I cannot fly due to the soft ground. (bill Tracy and Diana Votaw came by last week and no problem with there tires, but my RV-6 was grounded due to the soft conditions). I have a Maule tw on the Vag with the solid rubber tire. A little too heavy I think.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did Diana have her Airstreaks on yet? Bill is fun to fly with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Brown View Post
    I've thought about putting a small vent on the side of the boot cowl right where the black lightning bolt stripe is and painting it black to hide it a bit. I think the FAA gave Steve some grief about his boot cowl vent on the right side saying the exhaust could enter the cabin that way.

I like your idea of a separate firewall vent. That gets the cool air down by your feet and it will be drawn out through the sliding window. There is a Vagabond being built up here in my area and he is doing just that.

Ed
    Hi Ed
    Just caught up with this thread - really nice work!
    I'm doing a PA22 Experimental project and looked at the two images you posted here and like some of the things you have done.
    Do you have more pics of your project in progress that you would be willing to share?
    Cheers
    HunterJ

Post Thanks / Like

No steve, she did not have them on that day. Soon though. She is gonna like them.
    Yea, Bill is a trip. Nice guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Hunter, That's not my project and I don't have any other photos of it.

I'm sure the guys on this board would like to see photos of your project though.

Best,
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks anyway Ed
    Done some fuse mods including making port side door opening and replacing some damaged tubes and channels - the braces from the panel to the lower longeron (many thanks for the help Steve Pierce) and new door frames next!
    After seeing the thread on the skylight decided that now would be a good time (while it's naked) to it set up!
    Will post some pics soon
    Cheers
    HJ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everbody. Decided to add a second heat box (without heat of course!) for cabin air. Hopefully this, along with a vista vent in each door will do the trick.