Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USAF museum in Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Default USAF museum in Dayton

I am thinking about flying with a couple friends to the aviation museums in Dayton over my spring break from A&P school, which is the week of March 11th.
    My first question is; how long should I plan on spending at the main USAF museum? One, two days? Also, I am planning on stopping in at the Wright Brothers' airport with museum (KMGY), then parking at I19 to get a rental car for the main museum. On the way home, I'm planning on stopping at Grimes Field (I74) and Waco Field (1WF).

Are there any other on-airport museums or areas of interest in this area that I should try to visit?

Finally, would anyone around that area be interested in meeting up one day, or perhaps flying part way together or something like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: USAF museum in Dayton

I spent a full day there a few years back. Spent a good portion of that staring at the XB-70 Valkyrie, which in my mind is about the most beautiful thing ever created by man. Yup, I'd say a good solid day would do it.

Kurt
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Been there twice. One day each time. Not enough time. See the hangar that has the restorations and the presidential airplanes that is separate from the main museum.

Post Thanks / Like

If you fly through CRW (charleston, WV) when I'm working and I'll give you the best service I can ATC wise.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I would say 2 days minimum. I spent one day entirely in the restoration area which, to me, is much more interesting than looking at nice airplanes, although that was enjoyable also.This being an even numbered year the biennial Aeronca fly-in at Middletown (OH) should be held this year. Definitely worth a look if you are an old airplane enthusiast. I have been twice and enjoyed it (although I admit that I've owned 2 Aeronca's-one currently) Right down the map from Dayton.But I think it is always held in June.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend 2 days for the Air Force Museum. One day is long enough to see everything there if you don't really ever stop to look at details or read anything. The bus tours to the other hangar are only 1 hour long (and they make you stick to that, no catching a later bus to come back), and that's enough time to look at either the presidential aircraft, or the research and development aircraft, but not both, so you'll need to go twice if you're interested in looking at all they have in that hangar. It looks like you need to make reservations, in advance, for a tour that's only available on Fridays to visit the restoration area. Info at :http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

There are also a number of sites relevant to the Wright Brothers to see in Dayton which you can spend a day or more exploring. There is the only extant building that housed a Wright Bicycle shop on its original foundation and in its original location. There is a replica (at a park) of the bicycle shop they occupied while doing their early aircraft work. And there is Huffman Prairie Flying Field where the brothers did much of their early flight testing and training of early pilots.

There is a WACO museum, Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum, and more.

http://www.visitnaha.org/index.html
    Last edited by BrettL; 01-26-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best aviation museums you will ever visit. I spent a whole day there and they had to run me off in order to lock the doors.

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out. It is incredible. Be sure to zoom and look up and down.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-pkg.html
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Zac, Hope school is going well. I just hired a fresh A&P school graduate. I have never been to the Air Force Museum but have drooled over photo galleries I found on the internet. Please give us a report and pictures of your visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Zac,

When you stop at Grimes, there are 2 museums on the airport. One is the Grimes flying laboratory (Beech 18 with lots of lights) and other Grimes Aircraft Lighting related stuff. The other is the Champaign Aviation Museum where you can volunteer to work on their B17 restoration as well as look at other cool aircraft. Nice restaurant on field as well.

The Neil Armstrong Museum is near Wapakoneta KAXV. I've never been there but have been told it is nice.

Red Stewart Airfield 40I near Waynesville is a family operated grass strip where they still give primary instruction in Cubs and Champs. Definetly worth a stop. It's fun to just walk around an look at the planes.

If you come through on a weekend give me a shout I might be able to join you for a stop or two

Dean Dayton - N2519P PA22/20 - Marysville, OH