Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best way to bring back finish...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to bring back finish...

Hey all...been doing some cosmetic resto work on 06zulu and I am trying to bring back my 1970's Randolph finish without damaging it....it has this white powdery film that I can knock off with auto quick detailer but I really want to bring back the finish...I tested a small spot with some 3m machine polish(applied by hand) and it really came back...but am I hurting it? What methods have u guys used...best wax+polishes etc to bring back a tired airplane?
    Thanks!

-Dennis Stiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best way to bring back finish...

Dennis, I take it it is Randolph butyrate dope? If so a light or medium rubbing compound works well to remove oxidized paint. Just don't use anything with silicone in it as silicone causes problems if you ever want to repaint. Just be aware that if the paint is oxidized it could have lost it's plastisizers as well which makes it flexible. Concern would be while rubbing it out you are flexing the paint and if brittle can cause cracking.

Post Thanks / Like

I had excellent results using Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner #2. It's available in most auto parts stores and when used gently with a buffer it cleans the paint nicely.

Here's a shot of my wing's upper surface during the process.

Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished giving my 21 yo biplane's Randolph butyrate finish a 'treatment'. Lots of hand rubbing with a machine compound (suitable for acrylic lacquer), then Meguiars Paint Cleaner, then Meguiars Polish, then Meguiars Carnauba Wax. Absolutely fantastic result. Better than new.
    The Pacer is next--as soon as I can move my arms without pain!

Post Thanks / Like

thinned properly, this is amazing stuff.... I use this to scrub the "trees" from the wing tops, off of dope when you have a boo boo..... (hint electric tooth brush gets in the weave great)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...fcleaners2.php

I also use this to pre wash before a repaint of old finish...