Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Selector Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Selector Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    LOL, Delrin is not even tougher than the brass cone. Only advantage is that it is self lubricating thus no maintenance. I see more issues with the detent washer and not having the valve indexed correctly and shutting off partial fuel than I do hard to turn selector valves. The gascolator issue is two fold, the propensity for the top to warp and leak and then there is the issue of what happens in an accident to that wire bail that is retaining the bowl and all that fuel. A lot of what ifs for sure. I install Steve's gascolators as an easy of maintenance item and the additional safety factor is a side benefit to me. Kind of like oil filters, less prone to break the oil temp capillary and less mess and the side benefit is I can see more of what is in the filter media than I can with a screen.
    If you compare the holes in the delrin plug valve to the holes in the Allan or Dakota plug, its a larger hole and anytime the selector is in the detent on the delrin plug valve it will allow as much fuel to flow as the smaller holes in the Dakota or Allen valve. The hole is 50% larger in the delrin plug, I have never had an issue with fuel flow, it always goes into the detent and is always smooth with no freezing like the brass plug.
    Last edited by SMO22; 07-06-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea there was a $30 option? But looking it up I see its not for certified aircraft.

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    If you compare the holes in the delrin plug valve to the holes in the Allan or Dakota plug, its a larger hole and anytime the selector is in the detent on the delrin plug valve it will allow as much fuel to flow as the smaller holes in the Dakota or Allen valve. The hole is 50% larger in the delrin plug, I have never had an issue with fuel flow, it always goes into the detent and is always smooth with no freezing like the brass plug.
    There is no issue unless not in the detent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    I had no idea there was a $30 option? But looking it up I see its not for certified aircraft.

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    The STC is $75. from https://www.trimmeraviation.com/
    Than buy the valve from Aircraft Spruce, or may have to get it directly from the manufacturer https://www.andersonbrass.com/3-way-selector-valves

A proven valve that will never have a position detent problem or hard to turn problem like the original Piper brass plug valve.

Last edited by SMO22; 07-06-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    The STC is $75. from https://www.trimmeraviation.com/
    Than buy the valve from Aircraft Spruce, or may have to get it directly from the manufacturer https://www.andersonbrass.com/3-way-selector-valves

A proven valve that will never have a position detent problem or hard to turn problem like the original Piper brass plug valve.

So is it a direct replacement? No need to move fuel lines etc? Maule valve? From Spruce or Maule? Cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    So is it a direct replacement? No need to move fuel lines etc? Maule valve? From Spruce or Maule? Cost?
    There are two STC, fuel selector only, and selector and modified fuel system. The selector is drop in replacement.

Maybe you have to purchase the Maule valve from Trimmer?
    Last edited by SMO22; 07-06-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how the selector is modified for the STC

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    The stock piper weatherhead valve is super easy to convert to a Maule valve...drill one hole..deburr and reassemble without the small part that limits rotation. The white inner valve part is the Maule...the brown one is the original piper part.

Omit this part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Selector Repair

If you look at drawing 11383, it tells you it is a 108HD valve, originally from Imperial Valve (now Anderson Brass).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 07-06-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    If you look at drawing 11383, it tells you it is a 108HD valve, originally from Imperial Valve (now Anderson Brass).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did not know that Anderson used to be Imperial, that makes sense because the valve bodies are a lot alike. The valve in the post above by Mark is not the original Piper 108HD or the Piper 11383, its the Piper plastic plug valve that replaced the 11383 brass plug valve somewhere around 1980, than it was replaced by the Allen 6S122 around 1985.

I have the same valve Mark has, the Piper plastic plug valve not the older brass plug valve. I also have another plane with the Maule / Anderson Brass delrin plug valve, its a good valve. They are the same valve with the exception of the delrin plug, Piper used the brown plastic plug in there valve, Steve posted a link with a SL on the valve here
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ll=1#post97471

Not quite sure exactly how you go about procuring the Maule valve to comply with the STC, but it is the same valve Aircraft Spruce sells as part number 6749, you may have to buy it from Trimmer after the modification to a BOTH valve has already been done?
    Last edited by SMO22; 07-06-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an out-of-gas condition recently on the return leg of a trip from Florida to Maine and back about 3 weeks ago when I ran the right tank dry. First for me. Rapid rush to the brain as the fan stops. This rush was augmented by the fact I had lost all feeling of the detents in my fuel selector valve during the northbound leg which was compounded by my indicator panel beginning to freely rotate. I have no original fabric on the inside to which the round "Right, Left, Off" indicator panel should attach, and I have had to routinely reposition the round indicator back into it's "about there" position recently. In flight, I carefully moved the lever from about the right tank location to approximately the left tank position and the engine started right up again. I am going to attack these problems this week, initially with a rebuild kit- new O-rings and detent washer, using real fuel lube to the stock valve. If not satisfied, will buy Univair's valve for $450. Don't quite know what to do about permanently and accurately fixing the position of the tank position indicator panel...any suggestions appreciated.