Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

I have been working on cleaning up my flight manual a little so I created a W&B worksheet for the PA 22 150/160 using a moment envelope method. This worksheet allows you to perform a W&B with a simple balance without a need to divide.

I will add that you should verify the correctness against your own W&B data for your own aircraft. I can assume no liability for any errors.

It may help those who are in the training process....

I would welcome feedback if it can be done better.

PA22-150 W&B Worksheet.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Tim... I like that format. Would make it easy to calculate with basic calculator, or even pencil-paper if the batteries ran out ;-)

FWIW... I will attach the one I use that is excel based. One tab is the empty weight / CG calculation with equipment list that can be printed out and signed to be used as the W&B required record.
    Then the first tab is the per-flight analysis. You can input the weights or ammounts (fuel gallons), and then there is an "information" center (top right) that will tell you how much more load or fuel you can add... and if you are over gross, will tell you how much you have to reduce to get back even. Then there is a graph that gives your CG point at take off and at landing.

I am attempting to attach an excel file that has been zipped. You will have to download and un-zip to make use.
    If anyone would be interested and this doesn't work right... I can email... just let me know.
    wb_Piper_Pacer_N1234a.zip

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Bryan,

I like your spreadsheet. Very well done.

Tim

PS: Since I have an Android device, I use Avilution's W&B app. Works very well and is usually with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Bryan,
    Great worksheet, thank you! I am still working out the weight and balance for my new (to me) PA-22/20 160. There are a lot of old records, mostly for equipment that is not installed anymore.
    I am not sure how to proceed. My airplane does not even have a vacuum system anymore so I am sure the weight and balance is different. I would guess that I need to re-weigh but am unclear how to determine the empty airplane moment.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a thread with another weight and balance work sheet. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...amp-B-Envelope

Post Thanks / Like

Great worksheet, makes it easy to play through different loading configurations.

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing a lack of w&b apps for the Ipad, I made a worksheet and graph in Numbers. If anyone is interested I can send it.
    On electronic worksheets, I find it helpful to also include a tab with the weight of items that might be typically loaded like ropes, cord, wing covers, dogs, etc.

richas, I understand your problem.
    Also, I'm wondering which takes precedent for my plane: the original AFM cg limits, those from the gear conversion, or those in the 0-320 conversion supplement.
    The O320 is the most favorable and also seems to make the most sense since the original PA22 models had different cg limits based on engine size (but no structural difference).
    Last edited by skywaggin; 04-10-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: writing 360 instead of 320, wishful thinking?

Post Thanks / Like

I was excited to use this well thought out form. However my PA22/20 empty weight is 1100.32 pounds and has a moment of 14591.2 which works out to an arm of 13.26. When I use the calculations with this worksheet I fall out of the forward edge of the envelope unless I have max baggage and fly alone. Where did you find the CG Moment envelope and passenger loading charts? Either the PA22/20 is way different from the PA22 or I am doing something wrong.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I did notice that the CG envelope is totally different on Bryan's excel spreadsheet than MN_FLYER1 worksheet. How can that be? Depending on weight the CG envelope on Bryan's excel starts at 9.5 to 23.0 aft of datum and MN_FLYER worksheet is 9.5 to 46! Bryan's looks conventional and MN_FLYER1's looks very narrow and turns aft quick making it hard to not be out of the forward envelope. Who is corect?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swift4steve View Post
    Who is corect?
    Steve
    The Type Certificate gives this for the PA-22 150:
    Normal Category:
    (+17.5) to (+23.0) at 2000 lb.
    (+12.0) to (+23.0) at 1800 lb.
    (+9.5) to (+23.0) at 1400 lb. or less
    Utility Category: