Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

He needs PA22 info (he did say Tri-Pacer). Andy’s website might have an original sheet to look at if he doesn’t have one in his records. Even so, David is correct, the datum is the WLE so the arm for any panel work would be close to zero (or 60” if his current paperwork shows a datum at the nose).
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-07-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Instruments are around -2 and radios, depending on how long, usually -5 to -7 for panel mount. At least that’s what I have on the PA-16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an example W&B from a PA-22 that I fly. They put alll the avionics at station 0. Weighing was based on 60" forward of LE, then corrected.example W&B_Page_1.jpgexample W&B_Page_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much. I have corrected the calculation. In the end it was a mix of the datum at the spinner and the new datum at the wing leading edge. Since the weights of the avionics are minimal, the error was minimal too. Once again, thank you very much. Happy landings.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    Tim... I like that format. Would make it easy to calculate with basic calculator, or even pencil-paper if the batteries ran out ;-)

FWIW... I will attach the one I use that is excel based. One tab is the empty weight / CG calculation with equipment list that can be printed out and signed to be used as the W&B required record.
    Then the first tab is the per-flight analysis. You can input the weights or ammounts (fuel gallons), and then there is an "information" center (top right) that will tell you how much more load or fuel you can add... and if you are over gross, will tell you how much you have to reduce to get back even. Then there is a graph that gives your CG point at take off and at landing.

I am attempting to attach an excel file that has been zipped. You will have to download and un-zip to make use.
    If anyone would be interested and this doesn't work right... I can email... just let me know.
    Attachment 3694

Bryan
    Thanks for the spread sheet

Mark
    N3320Z
    Last edited by mholton63; 06-11-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading all this I will state the following: If your plane has had significant avionics/radios changed; or, the fabric removed and recovered, the airplane repainted; or, ANYTHING else done in it's lifetime that would remove or add mass... Do this: Pay someone ($100.00? - I paid $75.00)) with CERTIFIED SCALES to WEIGH YOUR PLANE!!! Piper Scales were JUNK. They NEVER weighed as little as Piper claimed. Complete CRAP. GO get your plane weighed on modern digital scales and start over with your weight calculations. I did. I was pretty surprised at the numbers. Go do it. Else, be found guilty of overloading your plane at some point in the future when they're weighing your wet socks after crashing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Reading all this I will state the following: If your plane has had significant avionics/radios changed; or, the fabric removed and recovered, the airplane repainted; or, ANYTHING else done in it's lifetime that would remove or add mass... Do this: Pay someone ($100.00? - I paid $75.00)) with CERTIFIED SCALES to WEIGH YOUR PLANE!!! Piper Scales were JUNK. They NEVER weighed as little as Piper claimed. Complete CRAP. GO get your plane weighed on modern digital scales and start over with your weight calculations. I did. I was pretty surprised at the numbers. Go do it. Else, be found guilty of overloading your plane at some point in the future when they're weighing your wet socks after crashing.
    I couldn't agree more! This past annual we put it on scales. It was close to 40lbs heavier than stated. No wonder I call her Spud.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did a bunch of expensive mods to a Super Cub nd then reweighed it. The owner was not happy cause it now weighed more than what the previous weight and balance said. Now I weigh before and after if I am doing a bunch of weight saving mods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I did a bunch of expensive mods to a Super Cub nd then reweighed it. The owner was not happy cause it now weighed more than what the previous weight and balance said. Now I weigh before and after if I am doing a bunch of weight saving mods.
    That's what happened to me. I was working with 1,134 pounds as given by the additions and subtractions over 65 years of life in my W&B calcs. Then I went with some mods (lightweight battery, alternator, starter) that theoretically removed about 24 pounds, so decided to weigh the plane to verify.

1,194.5 pounds! I was confused, then looked more closely at my mods.

I had added: a Stratus ES ADSB transponder with GPS and sharkfin antennas, cables, a 4 place intercom, an ADSB-in Flight box, EI EGT/CHT engine monitor system and wires, EI fuel flow gauge, Dynon D3 pocket panel, a B and C oil filter & mount, wheel pants to the mains, 7 quarts of oil, my tow bar, and my iPad and two Lithium batteries for the tablet, and two Zulu3 headsets,

so, I subtracted: 4.7 pounds for the transponder, antennas and cables, 2 pounds for the intercom system, 1 pound for the Flight Box and cables, 3.3 pounds for the EI EGT/CHT monitor and TC's/wires, 2.5 lbs for the fuel flow monitor, 0.3 lbs for the pocket panel, 3.8 lbs for the oil filter and mount, 15 lbs for the pants; (7.5 lbs. x 1.75 gals =) 13.125 pounds of oil, 2 lbs. for the tow bar, 3.75 pounds for the tablet and batts., 2 pounds for headsets.

1194.5 - 51.425 = 1,143.075! Much closer to the 1,134 pounds I'd been working with for years. Still not comforting knowing I'd taken out 24 lbs. I was looking for somewhere around 1,110 pounds. I'm at 1,194.5 and can readily account for about 52 pounds of that 84 pound discrepancy.

The other 32 pounds is probably in my all new interior, shoulder harnesses with 4 inertial retractors, VG's, flexible engine oil cooler lines that were never accounted for when they were installed, and all-copper cables that replaced original aluminum cables, also not documented in my logs by previous owner. I've also repainted the metal on the plane and shot some dope on wings in places. Maybe that's 15 or 20 pounds more? So, I have to assume Piper used some sort of average weight for their planes, and did not weigh every one of them. I can't account for 15 or 17 pounds and have to assign that error to the original Piper weight measurement.

My point is, it's much easier to gain weight than lose it. I'm glad I weighed my plane, so I know useful load is 805.5 lbs.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-03-2023 at 12:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So, why isn't anybody commenting? Do all of you ignore your weight and balance like I did? How many of you have weighed your planes in the last 3 or 4 years or so. 2020 was when ADSB became a mandate. 65 year old planes....I think you're all fat and don't want to admit it. Porky, porky, porky fat. Everybody just sort of within bounds and hoping for the best?? Come on, I want to know some real empty weights. I showed you mine...