Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail Spring Arch Template

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Tail Spring Arch Template

From Andy Anderson:

The Tail Wheel Spring Template available here is one I used to obtain more correct caster to the tailwheel on my Piper PA-22/20. A good spring shop can accomplish the re-arching using this template. The template was drawn from a rearched spring leaf, the lower of the four leafs in the PA-20 spring set. The arch was traced along the upper surface of this leaf. The other three leafs of the spring were patterned after the the bottom leaf after it was re-arched. When the spring shop is re-arching the other leafs, it is important that he match the arch of the lower spring as they are positioned with reference to the fuselage mounting hole ( the fwd hole ).A ruler scale was annotated on the original tracing to assist in getting the correct size print out to use as a template. You will likely have to blow up the "jpg" file by some amount to get the ruler scale to line up with an acutal ruler. The other thing that could be done is measure the angle change between the fuselage mounting end of the tracing to the tail wheel mounting end. Make a template with a smooth curve such that the change in angle between the start and the end is similar to this sketch.The re-arching is done in a major size press. The spring leafs are placed in the press at various and evenly spaced locations along the leaf to get a smooth increase in the arc. The arc is changed gradually with each interation to produce a realatively smooth arch. The spring steel should not be heated as it will change the spring properties.tailwheelspringtemplate.pdf
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 04-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tail Spring Arch Template

Nice, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I have my tail wheel and spring off doing some routine maintenance as part of the annual on my 22/20, replacing some worn bolts and overall cleaning and re lubrication. So with the leaf spring off for the first time in a couple decades, the idea to have it re arched comes up. I have the 3 leaf PA-25 spring which agreed is different than what Steve used to trace the arch in the PDF. However to my surprise when I printed out this PDF and scaled it for the ruled dimension, the longer leaf in my 3 leaf set very accurately lays on top of this PDF print to great precision. So the question for the group is, am I good to go, or would a little more arch be desired ? The ABW spring is arched to a clearly greater degree than this and seems to be the cat's meow for those who have upgraded to it. I believe my castor angle is pretty level to the ground when the 22/20 is empty but would definitely have a negative castor heavy loaded. Advice greatly appreciated.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, I would say that if you track good and you don't have shimmy, it's like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Shimmy is not only aggravating, but also wears out your tailwheel. So if you don't have it, you are likely OK.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I agree, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
    Yes I'm basically in that school of thought myself. This topic has gone "shortwing" viral however and I've had more than one shortwing enthusiast tell me I should really consider getting my TW spring re arched while visually ramp checking my TW.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

If it does not shimmy, why bother. The only reason you would increase the arch is so it won't shimmy. It works, leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Had shimmy problem on my 1953 PA-22/20-135 since I bought the plane 2 weeks ago. Took leaf springs off, re-arced using the above template. Actually went slightly more than the template to allow for some loading and settling back. Cleaned, re-lubed pivot point and axle with AeroShell 5, painted spring leafs and mounting brackets/clamp. Assembled and taxi tested, flown yesterday. Hurrah, no shimmy! Thank you Andy Anderson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had mine re- arched yesterday. Had to go out of town before I could install. Will the re-arch cause slack in the tail wheel chains ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've changed a couple springs after re-arch and never could see a change in cable slack.
    My present spring was a brand new Univair spring that I had re-arched before I installed it.
    from Univair it did not match my pattern I made to get the right angle.
    "Progress is our most important problem"