Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

I know there has been lots of talk on Cleveland wheels and brakes for pipers here and that STCs from Univair are available for my Pacer. I installed the Univair Wide Gear about 1.5yrs ago and now want to install Cleveland double puck calipers. Univair have brakes for the 1.5" axles but cannot use a 8.00 or 8.50 tire. My question is, I have the wide gear with 1.25" axle and want a 8.00 or 8.50 tire, is this possible? Anyone have a part numbers so I can piece it together and get an approval? Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

I've got the standard gear with 8.50's and 1.25" axles. Svenn's has the STC for 8.50's (or GY 26's) on clevelands:

SA-02672CH: Installation of 8:50 tires or 26" tires. The aircraft must have conventional gear and Cleveland wheels and brakes installed. These tires are great for an aircraft that is used "off the beaten path" a lot. The additional ground clearance is a great way to avoid many damages created by sand, gravel and any other fod around. If you operate around a lot of rocks or gravel the 26" tires are a great addition, with the smooth surface there is less of a chance of gravels or rocks being flung into the back of the propeller. Applicable on all PA-22 and PA-20 aircraft. Price is $250.

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft Spruce sells a STC'd Cleveland conversion kit p/n 199-71-STC for Pipers with the 1.25" axle that you can run up to the 8.00x6 tire, it was $1000 when I got it but I see its up to $2000 now, and I thought a grand was out of hand but bit the bullet. This is the double puck caliper with 6 bolt wheels and I'm using the original M/Cyl. used with the expander tube system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alaskan Bushwheel has them for a much better price. I got a quote last week. The problem with Univair's kit is the brake disc is 2" from the wheel where the 199-71 is 2 3/8" which is less prone for the caliper to rub the tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the199-71 thicker?

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to put the Goodyear 26" tires on per Svenns STC, and have the tire rubbing on the brake. I have the Cleveland 40-28 wheel and have contacted Alaska Bushwheels but they aren't sure if their ABI-BSK3 spacer ring kit works on the 40-28 wheel since the kit was made for the 40-60 or 40-75D/T. Has anyone used the ABI kit with the 40-28 wheel? A wander through the Cleveland catalog doesn't indicate a deeper offset brake disk for the 40-28 wheel but it wouldn't be the first time I've overlooked something. Both the 40-28 and 40-75 are three bolt wheels with the 40-75 using a larger through-bolt (AN5 vs AN4). Just wondering if there are casting differences that would prevent the 40-28 from using the spacer since axle size and bolt pattern are the same and both are made for 6.00-6 tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are these the wheels Univair sells for the PA22/20 conversion? If so the spacers worked on mine with 29" Bushwheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Are these the wheels Univair sells for the PA22/20 conversion? If so the spacers worked on mine with 29" Bushwheels.
    Yes, these are the same parts used in the Univair conversion. Good to know that they work with that spacer ring. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post

So, have finally been getting around to working outside and putting the Goodyears on and the resulting installation doesn't look quite right yet. First off - The inboard axle spacer is 1.71in long. If I put both brake disc spacers in to get the required caliper clearance and put an additional sleeved spacer on the axle to get the brakes to align, the wheel bearing is riding on the threads at the end of the axle. Have less than half engagement of the axle nut with the rest of the nut hanging off the end of the axle. Getting the Cotter Pin in and not wearing down the grease seal would be a trick. Going around to the inboard side and looking at the torque plate it appears that it can be flipped to provide a bit more working depth for the caliper anchor bolts if I then move the wheel back in again with a shorter inboard spacer.

Am I missing something here before I start taking things apart? Yes, in the photos below I need to clean and lube the anchor bolts and the torque plate bushings before I'm done.

This airplane had wheelpants on it in the past. I don't know if they were factory or not but I'm wondering if the wheels were moved outboard a bit to align better inside the wheelpants. There were no outboard axle spacers when all of this started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not following how the brake disc spacers is moving the wheel outboard on the axle.