Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Will my wheels have some kind of casting mark identifying the type? I don't know if it is the 40-75D or 40-75T brake disc that I would need from ABI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TxAgfisher View Post
    Will my wheels have some kind of casting mark identifying the type? I don't know if it is the 40-75D or 40-75T brake disc that I would need from ABI.
    From my reading of the Cleveland Catalog AWBPC0001-19/USA on-line, the wheels and disc ARE different. The 75D shows 3 bolts, the 75T shows 6 bolts. The 75D shows 3 960-516L (Light or thin) washers, the 75T shows 6 960-516 washers (regular thickness). Bolts are AN5-35A. If this is correct, you know what to look for now!
    The "casting mark" is an adhesive sticker placed on the outer wheel half, maybe 3/8 by 2 inches +/-.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up ordering new brake discs from ABI. Hopefully the deeper disc solves my problem. I have 40-84'S BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let us know the results of the new, deeper brake discs.

Post Thanks / Like

No dice, rotors were probably 1/16 too big on the OD and rubbed the caliper. Had to add an additional set of spacers to get the clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought so. You could sell the wheels and brakes and get the set Eddie Trimmer calls out in his STC. I had to do that with my Pacer wheels and brakes I tried installing on my 1 1/2" axled Super Cub.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to update my brakes to the ABI bake kit and Trimmer STC. Looking for some advice. Would you guys go with a 3 bolt wheel or a 6 bolt wheel and is there anything that you have run into with the install you weren't expecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Are these the wheels Univair sells for the PA22/20 conversion? If so the spacers worked on mine with 29" Bushwheels.
    Sounds like you used the ABI spacers with the Cleveland 40-28 wheels? If so, did you just leave a little slop in the spacer holes? It's my understanding that these are drilled for AN5 through bolts where the 40-28 wheels use AN4s. The hole pattern matched?

I'm looking to increase caliper/tire clearance on my Cleveland 40-28s (Univair kit) and some 8.50x6 tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flynfish View Post
    So, have finally been getting around to working outside and putting the Goodyears on and the resulting installation doesn't look quite right yet. First off - The inboard axle spacer is 1.71in long. If I put both brake disc spacers in to get the required caliper clearance and put an additional sleeved spacer on the axle to get the brakes to align, the wheel bearing is riding on the threads at the end of the axle. Have less than half engagement of the axle nut with the rest of the nut hanging off the end of the axle. Getting the Cotter Pin in and not wearing down the grease seal would be a trick. Going around to the inboard side and looking at the torque plate it appears that it can be flipped to provide a bit more working depth for the caliper anchor bolts if I then move the wheel back in again with a shorter inboard spacer.

Am I missing something here before I start taking things apart? Yes, in the photos below I need to clean and lube the anchor bolts and the torque plate bushings before I'm done.

This airplane had wheelpants on it in the past. I don't know if they were factory or not but I'm wondering if the wheels were moved outboard a bit to align better inside the wheelpants. There were no outboard axle spacers when all of this started.
    Did you end up using the ABI spacers on your Cleveland 40-28 wheels?

I already have the long caliper pins on my brakes, but looking for more caliper clearance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So I have been playing with wheels and brakes lately. Installed 35" Bushwheels on my Super Cub last weekend which means using a 10" Alaskan Bushwheel wheel. Probably only temporary but fun to play with.
    IMG_20200215_153427.jpg
    Addressing the caliper/tire rub when installing bigger tires on the 40-84 wheels used in te Univair/Cleveland brake STC. Having some seperate brake discs and a set of Pacer 40-84 wheels per the Univair STC I figured out that you can get the 2 5/16" brake disc offset like most other brake set ups by using the 164-03300 brake discs in place of the 2" clearance of the 164-01900 brake discs that come on the 40-84 wheels. The discs are less than $100 if you buy Rapco or APS from Aircraft Spruce. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=47623 https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=47623
    164-01900 Brake Disc
    IMG_20200219_113517.jpg
    164-03300 Brake Disc
    IMG_20200219_113532.jpg
    The 164-03300 brake disc has the same hole pattern as the 164-01900. This picture shows the two discs on top of each other over the wheel.
    IMG_20200219_113544.jpg