Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer and Cleveland Wheels and Brakes....?

Hi all, I can second that, thanks to Steve Pierce’s recommendation for the Rapco disks. I had thought the deeper Rapco disks would require an adjustment to the inner spacer to maintain correct caliper pin to torque plate relationship, but all good. I’ve got almost 1/2” clearance between the caliper and Goodyear 8.50 tires. Plenty of clearance if one wants to go to something like the Goodyear 26” blimp/tundra tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Wil this be installed via field approval or an STC?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Andy,
    I have the Univair wide gear on my Pacer. All of the parts I used are listed under their STC for the wide gear installation. I also have the Svenns STC for the 8.50’s on Cleveland wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default 26” Goodyear Brake fitment

Good evening all! A close friend at the airport is preparing for an Idaho trip next month and modifying his ‘55 Pacer with 26” Goodyear tires on 6” wheels. The tire and brake rotor assembly were removed off a PA-18. He is is running Cleveland brakes and 1 1/2” axles on the Pacer.

Does anyone here have guidance on a part number for the correct brake rotor to be used in this scenario? The current rotors, APS 164.03601, are approximately 1/32” to large in diameter and don’t quite fit.

I figured someone here has probably run into this issue before. I can retrieve additional information if needed. Thanks.

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 26” Goodyear Brake fitment

Call Gabe at Airframes he is pretty good at that stuff. Knowing the number on the calipers will also help.
    DENNY https://www.airframesalaska.com/airc...nce-s/2256.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Otto View Post
    Good evening all! A close friend at the airport is preparing for an Idaho trip next month and modifying his ‘55 Pacer with 26” Goodyear tires on 6” wheels. The tire and brake rotor assembly were removed off a PA-18. He is is running Cleveland brakes and 1 1/2” axles on the Pacer.

Does anyone here have guidance on a part number for the correct brake rotor to be used in this scenario? The current rotors, APS 164.03601, are approximately 1/32” to large in diameter and don’t quite fit.

I figured someone here has probably run into this issue before. I can retrieve additional information if needed. Thanks.

Justin
    What wheels and brakes? Super Cubs come with a 1 1/4" axle. There is an STC for the 1 1/2" wheels. I merged your thread with another on the subject. Look at post #30 and if you have the correct wheel and brake set the disc I listed there works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also, wheel, caliper, torque plate and disc are supposed to be a matched set. That is why they are approved. You can get by with 8.50s in Idaho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What wheels and brakes? Super Cubs come with a 1 1/4" axle. There is an STC for the 1 1/2" wheels. I merged your thread with another on the subject. Look at post #30 and if you have the correct wheel and brake set the disc I listed there works.

Thank you Steve, post #30 should help quite a bit, I appreciate it.

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I'm revisiting this thread as I am like many others, wanting to put 8.50 x 6.00 tundra tires on my Experimental Colt. Although this conversation started out looking at utilizing 40-28 wheels, it drifted off to other wheel sizes as well, namely 40-84 and associated rotor discs. So here is what I have:

Cleveland 40-28 wheels
    Cleveland 30-18 brake assembly
    Cleveland 066-10600 rotor discs (worn and need replacing irregardless)

In talking with Airframes Alaska, Gabe recommended rotor discs 164-03601, but I see they are for Cleveland 40-75D wheels; although they are a 3 hole pattern, they are sized for AN5 bolts, not AN4's found as found on the 40-28. Are there deep rotor discs available for the 40-28 wheel that are suitable for AN4 hardware, or does one either ream out the bolt holes on the 40-28 to accept AN5 hardware, or add a bushing to use AN4 bolts in the larger holes? Lastly. are 40-28 and 40-84 wheels the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a link to a Cleveland Wheels and Brakes catalog. It should have the wheel specs you need. It was helpful when I made the switch to 8.50s.

Product Catalog - Parker Hannifin https://www.parker.com/literature/Ai.../AWBPC0001.pdf